FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Bemicro NIOS lockup on EPCS access

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have installed the EPCS flash on my Bemicro and set the jumper accordingly. I can load an FPGA design into the EPCS using the Quartus Programmer and have it load successfully, so the EPCS and jumper are correct. 

I can run my programs on the NIOS core that loaded from the EPCS, but when I try to program the EPCS with the FPAG image and program, using the Flash Programmer, I get the message: 

Using cable "Arrow-USB-Blaster ", device 1, instance 0x00 Resetting and pausing target processor: FAILED Leaving target processor paused 

After this I can no longer run programs on the NIOS. I have to use Quartus to reprogram the FPGA. 

I have taken the system down to its most basic components. The program simply prints "Hello World" continuously. Quartus has the SOPC with connectons to SRAM, the clk, the EPCS, RESET_N held high and some LEDs at constant output. 

The SOPC has a NIOS full with level 1 Debugger, the SRAM, JTAG_uart, sysid, PLL, system_timer, EPCS and 1 PIO for the LEDs (not currently used). 

I have attached the TCL file that I used to setup the project. In includes some defines for the proto-board. 

Can anyone give me a clue as to what is going on? 

Thanks, 

Jeff
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I created my own SPI controller (bit-banging) and mux'ed it with the EPCS. I am able to access the EPCS flash and read the ID without a problem. So, this problem isn't related to part assembly or FPGA pinout.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have also accessed the flash using the EPCS peripheral inside of a program without a problem.  

It looks like the only time I have a problem is when using the Flash Programmer.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I couldn't get the Nios IDE to flash the epcs either. It complains that it can't halt/reset the processor. As a matter of fact, even using the quartus programmer to flash a jic file didn't work... some error about the id. 

Programatically through the HAL, however, the Nios sees the epcs with no problems... I'm betting I could probably flash it that way, but if anyone has done it through the Nios IDE it would be nice to have confirmation that at least it CAN be done!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you guys using QuartusII 9.1 SP1 ? You should.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

amilcar, 

Thank you. I switched to 9.1 SP2 and it works now. I had to place "jtag_hw_arrow_usb_blaster.dll" in "C:\altera\91sp2\quartus\bin" for the programmer to detect the cable.  

However, the normal USB-Blaster will NOT work with the DLL in place. I had to change the extension of the DLL to disable it before the USB-Blaster works. 

--Jeff
0 Kudos