cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Bemicro NIOS lockup on EPCS access

Hello, 

I have installed the EPCS flash on my Bemicro and set the jumper accordingly. I can load an FPGA design into the EPCS using the Quartus Programmer and have it load successfully, so the EPCS and jumper are correct. 

I can run my programs on the NIOS core that loaded from the EPCS, but when I try to program the EPCS with the FPAG image and program, using the Flash Programmer, I get the message: 

Using cable "Arrow-USB-Blaster ", device 1, instance 0x00 Resetting and pausing target processor: FAILED Leaving target processor paused 

After this I can no longer run programs on the NIOS. I have to use Quartus to reprogram the FPGA. 

I have taken the system down to its most basic components. The program simply prints "Hello World" continuously. Quartus has the SOPC with connectons to SRAM, the clk, the EPCS, RESET_N held high and some LEDs at constant output. 

The SOPC has a NIOS full with level 1 Debugger, the SRAM, JTAG_uart, sysid, PLL, system_timer, EPCS and 1 PIO for the LEDs (not currently used). 

I have attached the TCL file that I used to setup the project. In includes some defines for the proto-board. 

Can anyone give me a clue as to what is going on? 

Thanks, 

Jeff
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I created my own SPI controller (bit-banging) and mux'ed it with the EPCS. I am able to access the EPCS flash and read the ID without a problem. So, this problem isn't related to part assembly or FPGA pinout.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I have also accessed the flash using the EPCS peripheral inside of a program without a problem.  

It looks like the only time I have a problem is when using the Flash Programmer.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I couldn't get the Nios IDE to flash the epcs either. It complains that it can't halt/reset the processor. As a matter of fact, even using the quartus programmer to flash a jic file didn't work... some error about the id. 

Programatically through the HAL, however, the Nios sees the epcs with no problems... I'm betting I could probably flash it that way, but if anyone has done it through the Nios IDE it would be nice to have confirmation that at least it CAN be done!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Are you guys using QuartusII 9.1 SP1 ? You should.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

amilcar, 

Thank you. I switched to 9.1 SP2 and it works now. I had to place "jtag_hw_arrow_usb_blaster.dll" in "C:\altera\91sp2\quartus\bin" for the programmer to detect the cable.  

However, the normal USB-Blaster will NOT work with the DLL in place. I had to change the extension of the DLL to disable it before the USB-Blaster works. 

--Jeff