FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Board Test System does not work with Arria 10 SoC

GSagl1
Novice

Hello,

Currently I am working on a verilog design in Arria 10 SoC Development Kit, and I need to set the clock pins to some value that I need. However, the Board Test System does not work.

I have Windows 10 on my setup, I know I can program the FPGAs because I have tested some designs. I set SW1 as "on off off off", SW3 as "off off on on on off on off". SW2 is all "off". I have 2 Arria 10 SoC devices connected to my computer at the same time, both have the same switch setup.

I had Quartus Prime Standard 17.1 and tried with that, did not work. I tried running BTS as administrator, didn't work.

I deleted 17.1 and installed Quartus Prime Standard 15.1 (then updated to the version 15.1.2.193), set up the environment variables but it could not see "bin64" folder and was looking for "bin" folder. I copied the "bin64" and renamed it to "bin". I tried running the BTS as admin and not as admin, still does not work. 

When running "java -jar bts.jar" in command window as admin, I get this:

====output====

java -jar bts.jar
Success!
Current OS:Windows 10
Sep 07, 2021 6:10:46 PM com.altera.bts.BtsView <init>
INFO: Board version: Rev C, chip version: PRD
Sep 07, 2021 6:10:46 PM com.altera.bts.systemconsole.client.ClientApp attachServer
INFO: [C:\altera\15.1\quartus/sopc_builder/bin/system-console, --server]
Sep 07, 2021 6:10:46 PM com.altera.bts.systemconsole.client.ClientApp attachServer
INFO: Here is the standard output of the command:

Sep 07, 2021 6:10:50 PM com.altera.bts.systemconsole.client.ClientApp attachServer
INFO: TCP PORT: 62003
Sep 07, 2021 6:10:57 PM com.altera.bts.systemconsole.client.JtagInfo retrieveDeviceList
INFO: 3 device detected: /devices/10AS066H(2ES|3E2|3ES|4E2)|..@1#USB-1 /devices/5M2210Z|EPM2210@3#USB-1 /devices/5M2210Z|EPM2210@4#USB-1
Sep 07, 2021 6:10:57 PM com.altera.bts.systemconsole.client.ClientApp getCompatibleBoardInfoArray
INFO: System Max matched: true, Fpga matched: true
Sep 07, 2021 6:10:57 PM com.altera.bts.BtsView <init>
INFO: Selected JTAG cable is: USB-BlasterII on localhost (USB-1)
Sep 07, 2021 6:10:57 PM com.altera.bts.BtsView <init>
INFO: FPGA device on index 1, System MAX on index 3
Sep 07, 2021 6:10:57 PM com.altera.bts.InstanceChecker registerInstance
INFO: Application Register. Type: Board Test System GUI
Sep 07, 2021 6:10:57 PM com.altera.bts.systemconsole.client.SysConService <init>
SEVERE: java.io.IOException: Get master service paths failed! Device: "/devices/5M2210Z|EPM2210@3#USB-1" Type:
Sep 07, 2021 6:10:57 PM com.altera.bts.InstanceChecker registerInstance
SEVERE: java.io.IOException: Claim master service failed! Type: Path: mem_0

====output end====

Can anyone help me out?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Welcome to INTEL forum. From your note that you have 2 Arria 10 SoC devices

connected to computer at the same time. Is this mean that you have 2 dev kit connected to PC? If it’s true, could you try out with just one dev kit/PC first. 

·      Also, don’t launch the JAVA command, just use the BTS GUI

0 Kudos
GSagl1
Novice

I have tried one dev kit as well. I also have tried BTS GUI, but I ran the java command so that I could see what error it is giving. Is the BTS for windows 7 or something? I tried windows 7 compatibility but didn't work. Still I wonder if it is made for windows 7.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for update. Yes, in readme file it stated that BTS is validated with Win 7 OS. Could you help try again Win 7 with Quartus v15.1.2 together with Arria 10 device database file and see how things go. Report back if error happen with error message screenshot. Thanks

0 Kudos
GSagl1
Novice

I already have Quartus 15.1.2/193. But getting a win7 OS is going to be a problem. Is there any way that I can run BTS on windows10 still?

And in this readme file it says "linux OS" as well. Does that include all the linux distros? For example ubuntu16.04 or 18.04?

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

You could refer to Quartus Prime Development Suite Release 15.1 README.TXT, Operating system support

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/others/download/os-support/readme-qp151.txt

0 Kudos
GSagl1
Novice

Thanks, today I got to try with ubuntu 16.04.

I have dual boot windows10 and ubuntu 16.04 on my laptop, and on that ubuntu I already had Quartus Prime Standard 17.1.0/590. I tried the BTS with that (correcting the environment variable myself), and it finally has worked!

Quartus Prime 15.1 is NOT downloadable for Linux. I have tried to download it multiple times, and it keeps redirecting me to the login page even though I have already logged in. The link or something else is broken there.

Now the only issue I have is, I set one of the clocks to some value, and I can see that it does work. But when I turn off the device and turn it on again, the set value is gone, the default clock value is back. How do I keep it even though I turn off the device?

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Could you help try. Don’t turn off the clock GUI setting, just key in the desired clock frequency in clock GUI software and click the “set” button. Then leave the clock GUI software as it’s.

0 Kudos
GSagl1
Novice

Hello,

That really wouldn't work? To use the GUI, you have to program the FPGA with bts_config.sof first. So if I set the clock with the GUI, then if the board is turned off and on again, the FPGA and the GUI would lose the connection.

And even if that would work, it's not really a concrete solution, because the pc could reboot itself, and even if that wasn't an issue, I can't do that. I have Windows10 on my setup and I work remotely. I would need to change windows10 to ubuntu in order to be able to do that, which will take even more work and is not desired.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for update. This is expected behavior. It’s expected that clock frequency setting will revert to default clock frequency if board is power cycle.

0 Kudos
GSagl1
Novice

And there is no way to make it permanent? Or perhaps some type of macro inside the Quartus Prime Projects to set the clock frequency?

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

No. Whenever new dev kit board is build, it will be programmed with default value as stated in user guide/clock GUI software only.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos