FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

Board Test System

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dear 

I want to run "Board Test System", but when run this, this message shown to me: "Connecting to the target... 

java.lang.Exception: No USB Blaster detected. 

Please check connections and restart the program." 

board connected via USB cable and successfully programed. 

my Device is: "EP4SGX230KF40C2" and my OS is: windows7
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am assuming you are running on a real windows rather than a virtual one - some virtual layers have problems with USB which stops it working 

The first thing to check here is that the cable is showing up in the device manager - if it is not then find the unknown device, right click on it and reinstall the driver from the quartus/drivers directory 

After that, check what `jtagconfig` returns - it should find your cable. 

Good luck
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I used real windows. 

In device manager, the USB port is showing up. 

I test this board with another computer with windows XP and "Board test System", "Power Monitor" run successfully.In windows7 to run this application, "run this program in compatibility made for windows XP service pack 3"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

use the newer version of BTS. 

You can download from altera website. 

I think older build of BTS was not compatible with the win7
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes the newer BTS version works better

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, interesting post.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Some link to Download the "Board Test System"! i can't find it, googling...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have problem with my BTS. It worked without any problem before but I couldn't connect my kit to my PC. There was issue with driver which which I solver already. But now I run into other problem, I can't open BTS anymore. When I do double click on BTS.exe icon nothing happened. I already re-install Quartus II and development kit as well. Nothing helped. Does somebody know where can be problem? I have Quartus II 12.1 and development kit 11.1. Win7 32bit. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

taking back my question. Problem was because I didn't have development kit and Quartus in same directory as is recommended. I should read more carefully :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Any chance I can get the Board Test System to work on Linux? (edit: yes.

I started it using "java -jar bts.jar" but I get the "java.lang.Exception: java.lang.Exception: No USB Blaster detected." error. 

$ jtagconfig 1) USB-Blaster 025040DD EP2AGX260 

Quartus version set up by environment variables is the same version of Board Test System. I'm able to use all Quartus tools from the command line with the current setup (Quartus, Qsys, Eclipse-nios, jtagconfig, nios2-*) 

Thanks! 

edit: 

Reading the console output we can notice Java is not able to find a library which handles the JTAG. I'm not sure if the same library can be used on Linux or if I can add the path to the library to the java.library.path. Here goes the relevant console output lines: 

SEVERE: no JtagJNI in java.library.path java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no JtagJNI in java.library.path 

I was able to find out how to add the correct directory to the library path: 

java -Djava.library.path=/home/ALTERA/11.0sp1/quartus/sopc_builder/model/lib/ -jar bts.jar 

But then I got this: 

SEVERE: /home/ALTERA/11.0sp1/quartus/sopc_builder/model/lib/libJtagJNI.so: /home/ALTERA/11.0sp1/quartus/sopc_builder/model/lib/libJtagJNI.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32 (Possible cause: architecture word width mismatch) java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /home/ALTERA/11.0sp1/quartus/sopc_builder/model/lib/libJtagJNI.so: /home/ALTERA/11.0sp1/quartus/sopc_builder/model/lib/libJtagJNI.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32 (Possible cause: architecture word width mismatch) 

I'm running a 64bit system but I'm able to run 32bit software using the ia32-libs package. However, the Java version I'm using is 64bit and will not load a 32bit library. 

$ file /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/java/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/bin/java: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, BuildID=0x47f558a5fd950bfecb09a1c6d692967d949796d7, not stripped 

I will try to install a 32bit version of java and I'll give feedback soon. 

edit: 

I got it working. Using the version of Java which comes with Quartus solved the problem. Here is the command which worked: 

$QUARTUS_ROOTDIR/linux/jre/bin/java -Djava.library.path=$QUARTUS_ROOTDIR/sopc_builder/model/lib/ -jar bts.jar 

This worked for Quartus 11.0sp1 running on Ubuntu 12.04 with the Arria II GX development kit 6G edition. 

So I ended up answering my own question and it was quite fast, but I hope it can useful for other people.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried with Quartus 13.1 and your instructions didn't work. However if I added the Quartus bin directory to my path and set the QUARTUS_ROOTDIR variable to point to the Quartus install I could then just run "java -jar bts.jar" and it ran without error.

0 Kudos