FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

[Broken] Stratix 10 GX BTS - Intel FPGA Dev Kit DK-DEV-1SGX-L-A

covfefe
New Contributor I

Hello,

Could someone help me successfully run the Intel BTS (Board Test System) provided with the Intel Stratix 10 GX FPGA Dev Kit (DK-DEV-1SGX-L-A 1SG280LU2F50E2VG )?

I have tried for several months, blindly installing many different versions of Quartus, different versions of Windows, several computers, different FPGA boards, without luck. All of them fail and crash at one point or another. The furthest I ever got was 10% through loading the provided examples.sof files, before the popup disappears, the GUI freezes, the log showing a severe crash.

While I can sideload the sof files with system-console, without the BTS GUI ever making it to the next step I am unable confirm that the $20k Intel boards are working. The controls to enable the different features (XCVR, ...) are behind grayed GUI buttons without any command line equivalent that I am aware of.

Quartus versions tested: 17.0, 17.1, 18.0, 18.1, 21.4, 22.4

(each time changed the QUARTUS_ROOTDIR to confirm correct path executed)

I have posted another topic on the subject, 8 months ago, to this date still without any solution. It goes more in details about other attempts. 

https://community.intel.com/t5/FPGA-SoC-And-CPLD-Boards-And/Stratix-10-BTS-Connection-Lost-Quartus-18-0-Pro-amp-Win10/m-p/1384966/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufEwzQUhCODZFQjZDRkg4fDEzODQ5NjZ8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M2238

I am on US PDT, and can hop on a conference call if needed.

- Windows 10
- Quartus 18.0
- stratix10GX_1sg280uf50_fpga_revd_v18.0b219_v1.0
- micro USB cable for Load Blaster II on USB SS 3.0 port
- No other USB devices connected

Example of failure:

INFO: Claim sysinfo master service.
Apr 06, 2022 2:31:19 PM com.intel.bts.SysConService <init>
INFO: Claim master service succeed! Service path: "/devices/5M(1270ZF324|2210Z)|EPM2210@1#USB-1/(link)/JTAG/(110:130 v3 #0)/jtagmem_0", claimed path: /channels/remote1/(lib)/master_3.
Apr 06, 2022 2:31:19 PM com.intel.bts.DesignDetection readFpgaImageType
INFO: Claim FPGA master service to read design type.
Apr 06, 2022 2:31:19 PM com.intel.bts.SysConService <init>
INFO: Claim master service succeed! Service path: "/devices/1SG280HN(2S2|3S2)|..@2#USB-1/(link)/JTAG/(110:132 v1 #0)/phy_0/master", claimed path: /channels/remote1/(lib)/master_4.
Apr 06, 2022 2:31:39 PM com.intel.bts.HeartBeat checkConnection
SEVERE: java.io.IOException: [CMD ERROR]: master_read_32 "/channels/remote1/(lib)/master_1" 64 1
Apr 06, 2022 2:31:49 PM com.intel.bts.SysInfo updateMaxReg
SEVERE: java.io.IOException: [CMD ERROR]: master_read_32 "/channels/remote1/(lib)/master_3" 48 1
Apr 06, 2022 2:31:59 PM com.intel.bts.HeartBeat checkConnection
SEVERE: java.io.IOException: [CMD ERROR]: master_read_32 "/channels/remote1/(lib)/master_1" 64 1
Apr 06, 2022 2:32:01 PM com.intel.bts.SysConService closeService
INFO: close_service master "/channels/remote1/(lib)/master_1"
Apr 06, 2022 2:32:09 PM com.intel.bts.SysConService <init>
SEVERE: java.io.IOException: [CMD ERROR]: get_service_paths -device "/devices/1SG280HN(2S2|3S2)|..@2#USB-1" master
Apr 06, 2022 2:32:09 PM com.intel.bts.DesignDetection readFpgaImageType
SEVERE: This FPGA design image is incompatible with this BTS GUI.
SEVERE: java.io.IOException: [CMD ERROR]: master_read_32 "/channels/remote1/(lib)/master_4" 0 4
SEVERE: java.io.IOException: Claim master service failed! Type:  Path: nios2 
Apr 06, 2022 2:32:25 PM com.intel.bts.BtsView restart
INFO: Application restarting...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

This case has been assigned to Application Engineer.

Application Engineer will contact you soon.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi covfefe,

First, I'd like to know more about the issue and your application to have a better understanding and narrow down to possible causes. If you can answer the following questions I'll appreciate it.

1. May I know if have you tried to configure using Quartus Programmer GUI?
  2. Can you try a simple design with POF/SOF? just to find out if problem is POF dependent.
  3. May I know if this is a singular case or are you seeing the same issue in other new devices?

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
covfefe
New Contributor I

1. yes. I can download images, just can't test anything (button push, FMC XCVR loopback, etc)

2. Do you have one you could share? 

3. Same issue on multiple PCs, multiple Stratix 10 dev kits, etc... . 

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi covfefe,

Sorry for the delay in response as w have observed a long weekend holiday recently.

When you tried to program with Quartus programmer GUI, I assume you managed to configure the board. But you only fail when it comes to BTS right?

Could you share with me the screenshot of BTS interface when the failure occur?

May I know how many boards you have and if all of them having this issue?

Is it consistent and coming from the same OPN (ordering part number)?

Is there any passing unit?

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi covfefe,

I wish to follow up with you about this case. Do you have any updates? 

Otherwise, this thread will be idling and marked as inactive, thus it will be transitioned to community support because there is no update received from you in a while.

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you to the previous notification that we provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos