FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

CPU1 not found on 5CSEBA2U23C6N (should be dual core)

Adibbi
Beginner

Hi,

our Cyclone V - 5CSEBA2U23C6N fails to de-assert the second cpu core from reset. During boot Linux reports the message "CPU1: failed to come online". Software on the SD card is generated by Yocto using the official meta-intel-fpga layer.

The same SD card put in an equivalent board with 5CSEMA5F31I7N successfully activates the second core. The document below reports that the second core is present for both Cyclone V boards we have.

Document CV-51001 | 2018.05.07

c5_pn.pngIt's guaranteed the presence of the second core ? Indeed if we read the hpsinfo register in one board we get 0x3 and in the other, which has the described problem, 0x2. This seems to demonstrate that the cpu is single core.

hpsinfo.png

Do we have a batch of single core Cyclone ? If not, how can we activate the second core ? Thanks.

PXL_20220909_105059008.MP.jpg

0 Kudos
17 Replies
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Adibbi

From the part number of the CV chip it should come with dual core.

It is weird that CPU1 is not coming online.

There are no settings to turn on/off the cpu core manually.

Which branch of the meta-intel-fpga layer that you are using? Is it the latest stable barnch?

In your current branch, could you check the device tree node for the Cyclone5 is following:

hps_0_sysmgr: sysmgr@0xffd08000 {

compatible = "altr,sys-mgr-15.0", "altr,sys-mgr", "syscon";

reg = <0xffd08000 0x00000400>;

cpu1-start-addr = <4291854532>; /* embeddedsw.dts.params.cpu1-start-addr type NUMBER */

}; //end sysmgr@0xffd08000 (hps_0_sysmgr)

4291854532 == 0xFFD080C4

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
Adibbi
Beginner

I'm using the "kirkstone" branch. Uboot-socfpga version is 2022.01, kernel is linux-socfpga 5.15.30-lts.

The custom board dts file includes the official "socfpga_cyclone5.dtsi" and only defines external peripherals like i2c, serial, ethernet, etc...

I also verified at runtime(through /proc interface) that the device tree correctly describes the sysmgr node as you said. The only difference I've noticed is that the compatible string contains only "altr,sys-mgr", "syscon" and doesn't include "altr,sys-mgr-15.0".

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Adibbi

Is it possible if you could try out the same image on the CycloneV with the same part number?

Just to rule out the possibility of a hardware failure?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
Adibbi
Beginner

Hi,

we tried on different boards with the same part number we always see the same behavior.

The numbers after the part number don't change across the board, maybe all the soc belongs to the same batch.

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Adibbi

Is it possible to get a hands on a different lot of the chip?

This could be a defective lot.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Adibbi

Any update on this case?

If we are able to verify that the batch has some hardware issue, maybe I could get someone to work on the batch.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
Adibbi
Beginner

Hi Jingyang, Teh,

unfortunately all the soc we have belong to the same batch "F CACAU2139A". 

Could you investigate on this specific batch ?

Regards,

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Adibbi

One last thing, could you try the branch "honister"?

Combination of socfpga-5.10.60-lts for the Linux and spocfpga_v2021.07 for uBoot.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Adibbi

Any update on this case?

Did you manage to try out the branch?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
Adibbi
Beginner

Hi Jingyang, Teh

I tried the honister branch and I observed the same behavior.

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Adibbi

Sorry but I could not check the history of the batch.

Could you try consulting the distributor for this?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Any update on this case?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
Adibbi
Beginner

Hi,

we are waiting for response from our distributors.

I will keep you updated.

Regards,

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Adibbi

Any update from the sale distributor?

Is it possible to close this case and open a new case when there is a reply from them?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Any update on this case?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Since there are no feedback for this thread, I shall set this thread to close pending. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

If you happened to close this thread you might receive a survey. If you think you would rank your support experience less than 10 out of 10, please allow me to correct it before closing or if the problem can’t be corrected, please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future service experience.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
Adibbi
Beginner

Hi,

we have ordered socs that belong to another batch. I will inform you when we have more information.

Regards,

0 Kudos