FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Can the FIR II IP core coefficients be left uninitialized?

SFava
Novice

Hello everyone,

I am using a MAX 10 SC device.

I instantiated an FIR II IP core with 2 coefficient banks.

The implementation features the interface to let the coefficients being loaded through memory mapped accesses.

When I try to run the Analysis & Synthesis step on Quartus 17.0, the tool raises an error stating:

"Error (16031): Current Internal Configuration mode does not support memory initialization or ROM. Select Internal Configuration mode with ERAM."

I looked on other forums at it seems that the problem relies on the configuration option (Assignments > Device > Device and Pin Options...).

There I should select the configuration mode Single uncompressed image with Memory Initialization.

This mode is not available on MAX 10 SC (Single Supply/Compact) devices, hence I need to instantiate the IP without initializing the coefficient banks.

Is there any way to achieve this?

Best regards,

Samuele Favazza

5 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee
Hi, think the FIR II IP core contain memory initialization where you might need to modify the code in order to remove the memory initialization.
0 Kudos
SFava
Novice

Do you refer to the automatically generated sources for the FIR II IP core?

If yes, could you point me to the code that I should manually change?

Above all I think the Quartus tool, should warn the user about this potential issue as it is aware of the device being used for the design.

Regards,

Samuele Favazza

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Yes, I am referring to the generated file. Could you share with me the generated file?

0 Kudos
SFava
Novice

Here you go.

Thank you for your time!

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

HI,

If you go to "fir_tdm\fir_tdm\synthesis\submodules\" folder then in fir_tdm_fir_compiler_ii_0_rtl_core.vhd it will include 2 hex file which is needed to be initialize by the FIR II IP. I am not sure if you delete the initialization file then will the functionality works or not. I would recommend you to use DC device.

0 Kudos