FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Can the Stratix-10 SOC Dev Kit's DDR4 SODIMM memory can be upgraded from 16GB to 32GB?

patrickk
Novice

My question is whether the Stratix-10 SOC Dev Kit's DDR4 SODIMM memory card can be upgraded from 16GB to 32GB?

The Dev Kit currently has a 16GB (x72 w/ ECC) DDR4 SODIMM memory card (Micron MTA18ASF2G72HZ).

From reviewing the board's schematic, it appears that the hardware may support 32GB DDR4 SODIMM cards:

1. The 16GB card uses address lines A[0:15]
    2. The 32GB card uses address lines A[0:16]
    3. The other addressing signals are the same between both parts.
    4. The Dev Kit’s schematic shows that A16 is connected from the FPGA to the SODIMM connector, which is promising.
    5. The EMIF IP would need to be re-configured from 16GB to 32GB.

If the Dev Kit supports 32GB DDR4 SODIMM memory cards, here is one I found:

32GB (x72 w/ ECC) candidate part:  Micron MTA18ASF4G72HZ-2G6

The Micron website shows that this part is sampling.  I am checking on availability.

Thanks for any information or comments.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BoonT_Intel

Hi Sir,

Yes, it is upgradable since the A[16] is connected to the board. Recently I am also upgrading the DIMM from 16GB to 32GB on the other boards. The changes are only open to the GUI, change the address pin setting, re-generate. Add the location assignment for the A16. The design is work now!

Anyway, please be reminded to review the timing parameter and see if it still the same.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BoonT_Intel

Hi Sir,

Yes, it is upgradable since the A[16] is connected to the board. Recently I am also upgrading the DIMM from 16GB to 32GB on the other boards. The changes are only open to the GUI, change the address pin setting, re-generate. Add the location assignment for the A16. The design is work now!

Anyway, please be reminded to review the timing parameter and see if it still the same.

0 Kudos
patrickk
Novice

Hi BoonT,

Thanks for the good news that the memory can be upgraded from 16GB to 32GB. 

Our distributor, Arrow, let me know that Micron recommends the B2 rev of the 32GB DDR4 SODIMM part I referenced.  This part is P/N MTA18ASF4G72HZ-2G6B2, and is still introductory.  Once we obtain the 32GB parts, we will upgrade our Stratix-10 SOC Dev Kits.

Thanks very much, Patrick

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

No problem and good luck!

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

Sorry, forgot to mention, the data width at the local interface (avmm) might increase. However, I think it is still working if you did not change anything (the additional MSB bit let floating)

0 Kudos