FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

Compact Flash Programming

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi There, 

For my project I need to send digitized data to the compact Flash card that comes with my board. 

My board number is Altera Stratrix-II 2S180 

I dont know where to start from, I am using a NCO complier to generate the sinewave and give it to the A/D converter that is present on the board. If it is not connected to a d/a converter then where is the data sent? How do I program the compact Flash 

Some help would be really appreciated, are there any build IPS that does this ? 

Regards 

DSP Board
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

you should consider that the fastest available CF-Cards are achieving write speeds of 20 MB/s, 10 MB/s would already be rather fast. The card shipped with Professional DSP Board is probably slower. You would have to downsize the AD clock considerably to capture AD data in realtime. In contrast, the SDRAM or SRAM memory supplied on the board should be able to work in the AD's 125 MS/s region. 

A low-level interface to CF Card (read/write absolute sectors) isn't too complicated. Using the True-IDE mode, it is identical to PATA (or IDE) hard disk drives. You have to understand the ATA register and command structure to some extent to handle it. As far as I know, Altera has a NIOSII CF interface, but no FPGA "hardware" CF interface. There may be free cores on the internet. Altera recently published a MAXII CF+ interface design example. It basically does some address register mapping, but no translation of low-level storage media access, which would be the more interesting part to my opinion. The example uses generic CF interface mode (PCMCIA I/O mode) rather than True IDE mode. 

Regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi FvM, 

You mentioned that "Altera recently published a MAXII CF+ interface design example", could you point us to where the example is? Thanks. 

simollie
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

just go to Altera design examples, MAX II designs 

http://www.altera.com/support/examples/max/exm-max.html 

Best regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks! 

Regards, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

just go to Altera design examples, MAX II designs 

http://www.altera.com/support/examples/max/exm-max.html 

Best regards, 

Frank 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've tried that. However, there's no DRQ signal. I can't understand why. Who can help me? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos