FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Configuration Flash Memory For Cyclone IV E - Military Grade?

JArti2
Novice

I'm designing a military application using a Cyclone IV E device (EP4CE55F23A7N - automotive grade), but can't seem to locate an automotive grade configuration flash memory chip. I need one that goes up to at least 125 degrees C, and I want to us Active Serial AS Mode. Do you have, or can you please recommend, a part for the task? This is a requirement by the Military so any help, part number, etc, that you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
19 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am sorry to tell you we do not have flash device that is able to support automotive grade. I would recommend you to use MT25QL device from Micron or other vendor that has automotive grade Serial NOR Flash device.

0 Kudos
JArti2
Novice

Hi JohnT_intel,

Thank you, yes, I would have loved to stay with Intel on this part, but I'm happy that there are possibly other options so that I can still proceed with the Cyclone IV E.

Regards...

0 Kudos
JArti2
Novice

Can you please tell me if MT25QL is compatible with the Cyclone IV E, and if Quartus Prime Standard will recognize it.

The reason I ask is because in the past, I tried to use a Flash memory from another company and I tried programming the configuration into the device in Quartus using a USB Blaster II, and had some issues recognizing the ID of the memory.

Also, can you indicate whether I can use AS mode with any of their chips?

Thanks for you responses!

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It should be able to work but it can only support ASx1. Please refer to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/component/2018/how-do-i-enable-micron-s-mt25q-support-for-eol-of-epcq---256mb--.html on how to enable it. Please follow the step which is the same as Cyclone 10 LP device.

0 Kudos
JArti2
Novice

Hi,

Can you please share a schematic, and/or some documentation explaining how to connect up the MT25Q device to the Cyclone IV E?

There are some differences in the pin names, so I'm not sure which pins to connect up to get a similar functionality as the Intel/Alter Configuration Flash Memory devices, which I have used in previous designs.

Thanks!

John

0 Kudos
JArti2
Novice

In the attached document, it doesn't say Cyclone IV E is compatible with MT25Q memory.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

We do not have schematic or documentation for Cyclone IV but you may still follow the configuration connection based on Cyclone 10 LP (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/support/boards-kits/cyclone10/c10lp-eval-a1-sch.PDF - page 4). The testing is not being tested on Cyclone IV as it is a old device but it should be possible.

0 Kudos
JArti2
Novice

Hi,

Thanks for your response!

The schematic doesn't use MT25QL memory, but EPCQ128A.

I'm already familiar with the EPCQ128A because I already used it in other projects.

What I'm looking for is a schematic which uses MT25QL, to see how it is connected up to the FPGA.

Can you please provide an example for MT25QL & Cyclone 10, which may give me some guidance on drawing up my schematic?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately, I do not have the schematic for this. You can still connect it based on how QSPI interface connection.

0 Kudos
JArti2
Novice

Hi JohnT,

Thanks for that.

So are the parts I chose compatible and I can do QSPI interface?:

Cyclone IV E &

MT25QL256ABA8E12-0AUT

Is Quad-SPI parallel and not serial?

What I've done for the last two projects is to use one 10-pin connector to program the flash as well as interface to the FPGA using the a module instantiated inside the FPGA for AS mode.

That way, I can program through the FPGA via AS mode.

Can you please point me in the right direction for documenation, and provide some information on how to connect up QSPI to the FPGA?

Also, how do I set things up in the FPGA HDL to utilize QSPI?

Please elaborate, so that I can gain a better understanding and move forward.

Thanks again for your help...

0 Kudos
JArti2
Novice

Also, initially you said that I can only use ASx1 mode, but seems that now you are saying that I should use QSPI. Are you saying that QSPI can be setup in ASx1 mode?

JArti2
Novice

Here is my attempt at comparing the pins of the Intel flash with Micron's, does this look correct and what should I do with the other pins in blue (see attached image file)?

Can you please expedite a response ?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
JArti2
Novice

This is the way I did it with Intel flash memory, and I want to do something similar with Micron flash (please see attached image).

I use an AS module in the FPGA, and program the flash through that. I then convert my programming files to .jic, and program the flash.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

For the connection in blue it s as below.

RESET# - Weak-pull high.

HOLD# - Weak-pull hig.

W# - Weak-pull high

DNU - floating

RFU - floating

NC - floating

0 Kudos
JArti2
Novice

Hi JohnT,

That is exactly what I needed!

Thank you for that!

I have one other thing to ask, and that is what to do with all the RFU_1 - RFU_14 (please see the attached image)

Also, does everything look right in the schematic I attached, mainly the connections to the FPGA?

Thanks again for all your help!

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The connection to the FPGA looks fine for me. I would recommend you to connect the RESET# of the flash to weak-pull up to avoid it entering reset state.

0 Kudos
JArti2
Novice

Thanks JohnT, truly appreciate all your help here.

Got, I will add the weak pull-ups on the flash.

So I have the correct flash pins matched up to the correct pins of the fpga?

0 Kudos
JArti2
Novice

Can you please look at the attached schematic and let me know if this looks complete?

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It looks good to me.

0 Kudos