FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5929 Discussions

Constants in In-System Memory Content editor

Ppavan
Beginner

Hi,

Can someone please help me in defining constants to modify using In-System Memory Content editor? 

I am using Quartus Prime Pro 19.2 version.

Regards,

Pavan

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ppavan
Beginner

Hi,

I need to define a constant. Based on a particular value of the constant, I want to perform a specific task.

After the task is performed, I want to change the value of the constant using ISMCE.

Can someone please help me with this?

Regards,

Pavan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @Ppavan 

Are you asking on how to edit the Memory Contents in the ISMCE?

You can edit the contents of instances by typing over the existing values directly into the Hex Editor pane.

RichardTanSY_Intel_1-1634780612197.png

You may checkout the User Guide below Section 5. In-System Modification of Memory and Constants:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-qpp-debug.pdf

YouTube video on how to use In System Memory Content Editor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VcVtFvJnuY

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
Ppavan
Beginner

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the reply.

I want to modify a constant (if that is possible) through ISMCE.

I am currently using tcl scripts, not GUI. I have working scripts to read and write data to memory using ISMCE. 

I want to do the same to read and modify a constant through ISMCE.

Regards,

Pavan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

You can refer to the scripting available for ISMCE in the User Guide below. 

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-qpp-scripting.pdf#page=208

I am more familiar with GUI though. You may need to try out which one works best for you. 

I think the write_content_to_memory tcl command is the closest to what you descript. 

Best Regards, 
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
Ppavan
Beginner

Hi Richard,

I already have the working scripts to read and write data in memory.

I want to know if there is a possibility to read and modify a constant value (not in memory).

I have read somewhere that Quartus implements constants in registers rather than LUTs when need to be modified using ISMCE.

I want to know how to do this.

Regards,

Pavan

0 Kudos
Ppavan
Beginner

Hi,

I believe that a way to define constants that can be modified using ISMCE in the earlier quartus versions was through LPM_CONSTANT IP.

In quartus 19.4/19.2 versions, I do not see this IP. 

Is there an alternative to this?

Regards,

Pavan Polepeddy

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Unfortunately, the LPM_CONSTANT IP is only supported in Cyclone IV GX, MAX V, MAX 10, Cyclone V, MAX II, Cyclone IV E devices. 

Optionally, you could use the altsyncram Megafunction (e.g. RAM 1-port) with the Allow In-System Memory Content Editor to capture and update content independently of the system clock option.

The option will specifies whether to allow In-System Memory Content Editor in order to capture and update content independently of the system clock. This option is not applicable for MLAB and LCs memory block type.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

0 Kudos