FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Create custom logic elements with classic logic symbols for Quartus Block/Schematic Editor

BillM256
New Contributor I

Hello,

I’m working on a design using the Quartus Block/Schematic Editor that requires classic TTL-like logic symbols, e.g., and, or, inverter, f/f. It would be useful if I could build my own primitives with such logic symbols, for example, an “and2” gate with one input inverted.

I looked into doing this with Verilog or VHDL, but as far as I can tell, they only produce rectangular blocks, not logic symbols. I’m now looking at AHDL, which preliminarily seems like it may work.

Questions:

1. Am I correct that Verilog/VHDL won’t produce logic symbols for the Block/Schematic Editor?
  2. If they will, how do I make it happen?
  3. If they won’t, am I correct that AHDL will?
  4. If AHDL is the way to go, any suggestions on training and documentation?
  5. Is there a better way than any of above?
  6. Anything else I should be aware of?

Many thanks in advance,

Bill McDonald

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

To answer your questions:

1. Not exactly, I would say it does and you can see them in the block design file created from the Verilog/VHDL code. But when you insert this symbol in a block design file it will appear as a block.
  2. I assume you want them to appear as logic symbols in you block design files. I don't think there's a way to do that. You can double-click on them and it will lead you to open the generated bdf file or the Verilog/VHDLfile.
  3. As far as I know, AHDL will not help. It would be the same as above.
  4. There is no better way to do what you want to do unfortunately. Just give your symbols and their ports a meaningful name so that it'd be easy for you to remember and visualise.

Regards,

Nurina

BillM256
New Contributor I

Hi Nurina,

You confirm what I suspected is the case. I'm hoping someone has a solution, so will keep the issue open, but I'm not optimistic.

Thanks for taking time to help!

Bill

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Is the issue just the look of the symbols created from HDL code?  I'm pretty sure once you create a .bsf (symbol file) you can edit the look of the symbol to change the rectangle or add to it (little circles for inverters) or move signal labels around.  I haven't done it in ages, but I'm pretty sure it's a right-click option there somewhere.

BillM256
New Contributor I

Hi Sstrell,

That's a very good point; it's likely I could use the symbol editor to convert the block into a conventional logic symbol. I've played with the symbol editor some and find it clumsy almost to the point of un-useability, but enduring it once per element to develop a few custom primitives would be worth considerable effort.

Many thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Since your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Regards,
Nurina

P/S: If you like my comment, feel free to give Kudos. If my comment solved your problem, feel free to accept my comment as solution!

BillM256
New Contributor I

Hi Nurina,

Sounds good. 

Thanks for your help,

Bill

0 Kudos