FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5287 Discussions

Current Sink from GPIO 3.3 LVTTL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

I've designed a circuit to generate step and directoin signals for external stepper motor drivers. The input current for these drviers is "-1 mA" which I believe means I need to sink 1mA of current. Is the FPGA capable of sinking this much current? I have read that it can output up to 24mA but how much can it sink? I did not find this information anywhere. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it!  

My board is a DE2-115 and the output pins are of the GPIO pins using 3.3 volt logic.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is the FPGA capable of sinking this much current? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, the output characteristic of FPGA and CPLD I/Os is almost symmetrical. The sink capabilty will be even slightly higher than the source strength. Some numbers can e found in the DC characteristic part of the device data sheet, complete data for individual IO standards and current strength settings can be found in the ibis files.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much.. I suppose my problem is somewhere else!