FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Cyclone 10 GX: The actual JTAG ID is different than was expected

SATC
New Contributor I

The Quartus Prime Pro Edition 19.3 version has been used as IDE.

I am trying to configure the CvP PCIe of Cyclone 10

GX according with this manual: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/uwc1500928794430.html.

However, when I try to programming CvP Images the error mensage is the following:

Error(209015): Can't configure device. Expected JTAG ID code 0x02E120DD for device 1, but found JTAG ID code 0x031820DD. Make sure the location of the target device on the circuit board matches the device's location in the device chain in the Chain Description File (.cdf). 

It's attached a Figure illustrating the programmer.

1.png

What I should do to resolve this problem?

Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SATC
New Contributor I

Thank you JohnT,

I unchecked the program/configure box with the .sof, thus the configuration was as follows the Figure.

10pct.png

In sequence, this error was presented to me: Error(209031): Device chain in Chain Description File does not match physical device chain -- expected 1 device(s) but found 2 device(s). 

But, I found a similar case in this forum and I managed to solve the problem. The inclusion of a cdf file was enough to programmer the device.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The JTAG ID code 0x031820DD is refering to the Max 10 (10M08) device. Could you try to performed auto-detect to make sure that you are using the correct JTAG chain?

0 Kudos
SATC
New Contributor I

Dear JohnT,

I realize the auto-detect when I was programmer the board but was necessary inform the device, as you can see in Figure. Even so, the previous settings were maintained, I believe that the problem is not the device selection.

auto-detect.png

I'm using the Cyclone 10 GX Development Kit and the Intel MAX 10 used to establish the JTAG Chain is the 10M08SAU169, how is illustred in Figure bellow:

Jtag ID.png

My doubt is, to configure the CvP PCIe in this device and then programmable it, the only programming mode is the JTAG? Or I can select the AS or PS, for example.

Another question that I have is about these address codes, you informed me that the JTAG ID code 0x031820DD is referring to the Max 10 (10M08) device. What the code 0x02E120DD is about? Is there any Intel document or manual that explains about these address codes?

Regards.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If you would like to use AS or PS then you will need to stored your bitstream to flash so that it is auto program during power up. From Quartus, we only support JTAG.

The board you are using is Cyclone 10 GX which the Max 10 device will always be in the JTAG chain. So you should be observing Max 10 and Cyclone 10 GX device in your JTAG chain and set your JIC file into the 2nd device which is the Cyclone 10 GX device and programmed it.

Code 0x02E120DD  is for Cyclone 10 GX which is the bitstream used.

0 Kudos
SATC
New Contributor I

Thank you JohnT,

I unchecked the program/configure box with the .sof, thus the configuration was as follows the Figure.

10pct.png

In sequence, this error was presented to me: Error(209031): Device chain in Chain Description File does not match physical device chain -- expected 1 device(s) but found 2 device(s). 

But, I found a similar case in this forum and I managed to solve the problem. The inclusion of a cdf file was enough to programmer the device.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I would recommend you to performed auto-detect 1st before adding the file into the programmer so the number of chain stay intact in your JTAG Chain.

0 Kudos
SATC
New Contributor I

Hi,

I know that performing auto detection is a good programming practice and I always do it, but in this case just this was not enough.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I understand your concern but unfortunately there is no default chain that we can use as it will depending on board to board. So usually, user need to understand what is in the JTAG Chain so that the setting used is correct.

0 Kudos