FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Cyclone 10GX JTAG Programming

KBhag3
Novice

Hi, I am using Cyclone 10GX in one of my design. When I started testing my board, JTAG was not functioning properly. I could program Cyclone10 through JTAG at 1MHz but not beyond that.

I tried different pull up values for TMS & TDI (10K, 4.7K & 1K) but the response is same in all cases. Even at 1 MHz, I couldn’t program Micron Flash device.

I checked back my layout & below are the net lengths in the PCB.

JTAG_TCK: 3.3 inch

JTAG_TD0: 2.9 inch

JTAG_TMS: 2.7 inch

JTAG_TDI: 2.8 inch

I believe 0.5 inch trace length difference should not create any issues at 24 MHz JTAG speed.

I have attached my Schematics page. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for this issue.

Best regards,

Bhagavath

0 Kudos
24 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Bhagavath,

Is your VCCPGM =1.8v?

Is auto detect working at higher frequency ?

Can you capture TCK,TMS,TDI , nSTATUS CONF_DONE & nCONFIG and attach ?

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
KBhag3
Novice

Dear Anand,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, my VCCPGM is 1.8V. I have attached the FPGA Power section Schematics.

Auto detect also is working at 1MHz only.

I need some time to capture the images.

Best regards,

Bhagavath

0 Kudos
KBhag3
Novice

Dear Anand,

I have changed my USB-Blaster II cable & now FPGA is getting programmed successfully at 24 MHz. Also, it is getting programmed consistently.

I have programmed my .jic file to Micron Flash & the file is getting programmed. However, FPGA is not able to read the Flash in Active Serial Mode.

The Flash part no. I used is MT25QU256ABA8ESF-0SIT. Please let me know if this part is supported by the device. I am using Quartus 18.1 PRO.

Also I would like to know if any other customer has used this Micron part along with Cyclone10 GX device for configuration.

Thanks for your support.

Best regards,

Bhagavath

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Bhagavath,

Good to know that you have solved the problem.

1. Yes MT25QU is supported device.
  2. Have you set the MSEL pins of the FPGA devices to the AS configuration mode?
  3. The Generic Serial Flash Interface Intel FPGA IP core provides access to Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) flash devices.

If still facing problem try to work with the example given in the link so that narrow down the issue.

Please do refer below link

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/tkt1520669802999.html#rku1522581481513

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards

Anand

KBhag3
Novice

Dear Anand,

MSEL is set properly for AS mode & I could see DCLK. I have noticed that DCLK, CS & D0/D1 are continuously toggling. I have attached some of the captured waveforms. Let me know if you get any clue from this.

Best regards,

Bhagavath

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Bhagavath,

Can you tell abut your design ?like IP's used and its configuration.

If your using NIos based design, I'm suspecting software image.

Also add some logic to control the leds from Hardware image & software image. We will come to know which image is being loaded.So that we can narrow down the issue further.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
KBhag3
Novice

Dear Anand,

Current design is just blinking 2 LED's. NIos is not used in this project. I have attached the design & my Schematics. After FPGA being programmed, GPIO_LED2 & GPIO_LED3 will become ON & OFF periodically. This is happening when I program FPGA through JTAG (loading .sof file).

Best regards,

Bhagavath

0 Kudos
KBhag3
Novice
posted a file.
0 Kudos
KBhag3
Novice

Dear Anand,

One more point. I can program the Micron Flash but Verify is failing. Similarly, I can erase the Flash but blank check is failing. Let me know if this gives any clue.

Best regards,

Bhagavath

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi Bhagavath,

Okay, Issue may be related to flash loading. Can you check signals like nSTATUS, nCONFIG & CONF_DONE.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
KBhag3
Novice

Dear Anand,

When the board is powered ON with MSEL pins in AS mode: nCONFIG is continuously high & CONFIG_DONE is continuous low. nStatus is going high & low like clock signal. The board is in continuous loop as shown in the attached image (Figure141 of Handbook). Writing the configuration data to FPGA is not happening.

nStatus will become high if I load .sof file through JTAG, as expected. Also CONFIG_DONE goes high after programming.

Best regards,

Bhagavath

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Bhagavath,

We can finally suspect the flash device.

Let me escalated this case to AE. I will get back to you on this soon.

Regards

Anand

KBhag3
Novice

Dear Anand,

I have captured the top marking of the Micron Flash & the same is attached. Not sure if this will help.

Do you suggest any footprint compatible alternate part? I will quickly procure few of them & try if that helps.

Best regards,

Bhagavath

0 Kudos
KBhag3
Novice

Dear Anand,

I have check with Micron about the top marking & the device top marking is correct.

https://www.micron.com/support/tools-and-utilities/fbga?fbga=RW170#pnlFBGA

Best regards,

Bhagavath

0 Kudos
KBhag3
Novice

Dear Anand,

Please let me know if you have any further update regarding this issue.

Best regards,

Bhagavath

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi Bhagavath,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

We can see that MT25QU256ABA8ESF is only supported for Arria 10 and Stratix 10 devices.

MT25Q(Pending validation) & MT28EW flash are supported for Cyclone 10 GX.

1. We will be not able to use MT28EW it is parallel flash
  2. Try  with MT25Q which is not been validated.

https://www.micron.com/-/media/client/global/documents/products/other-documents/altera_compatibility_chart_flash_dram.pdf?la=en

Regards

Anand

Qspi.JPG

0 Kudos
KBhag3
Novice

Dear Anand,

I have some confusion now. Does this mean there is no Flash Device available for Cyclone 10 GX in AS Mode? Unfortunately, I am not in a position to change the design now. Will MT25QU be added in the supported list in near future? As you asked to try with MT25Q, can you suggest complete part no.? As I understand MT25Q devices are either QU or QL. I can't use QL as my voltage level is 1.8V. Also the chart says passive configuration is supported with MT25Q but my configuration mode is AS.

Need more support from you.

Best regards,

Bhagavath

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi Bhagavath,

We are not telling that "No Flash Device available for Cyclone 10 GX in AS Mode" .

Micron MT25QU  is not tested with cyclone 10 GX, we can't guarantee on its operation.

Try some other alternate device with same footprint.

Regards

Anand

KBhag3
Novice

Dear Anand,

Does this mean the part I selected (MT25QU256ABA8ESF) is supported by Cyclone 10 GX but not validated yet by Intel? Do you suggest/Recommend any other footprint compatible device? Also, I want to know if you have any suggestion/corrections in my circuit related to Micron Flash.

Has any of your customer tested the AS booting with Micron Flash (with Cyclone 10 GX)?

I am sorry with too many questions but I am really stuck for last 3 weeks. I have time only till this week end to resolve the issue. I have designed 20+ Altera FPGA boards but never faced this type of booting issue till now.

Is it possible to support if I come there to Intel with one board?

Best regards,

Bhagavath

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi Bhagavath,

Please try setting mentioned in below link also regenerated the programming file. (Delete all temporary folders)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/component/2018/how-do-i-enable-micron-s-mt25q-support-for-eol-of-epcq---256mb--.html

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos