FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5929 Discussions

Cyclone 10LP Evaluation kit and Tethering IP

johnswenson1
Beginner

I have a Cyclone 10LP Evaluation kit and want to use an IP core which requires tethering for evaluation mode. Is the builtin mini USB programming port sufficient for this Or do I need to use a USB blaster connected to the JTAG port for the Tethering? If I use the JTAG port for tethering can I still use the mini USB port for progrmming?

Thanks,

John S.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Welcome to INTEL forum. Based on my understanding, tethered mode requires (JTAG) cable connected between the JTAG port on your board and the host computer. You can refer here https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an320.pdf

0 Kudos
johnswenson1
Beginner

I guess I didn't properly ask the question: does the builtin USB Blaster II connect via JTAG to the cyclone 10 chip's JTAG pins? It was not about tethering in general but about the specifics of how JTAG is done on this specific evaluation board.

I spent this morning pouring over the schematics of the board and did find the answer. This is what I found out: the USB Blater functionality is implemented by a cypress microcontroller which does output JTAG pins. These signals are sent to the MAX 10 FPGA. In addition the JTAG signals from the external JTAG port are also sent to the MAX 10 FPGA. A set of signals from the MAX 10 FPGA go to the JTAG pins of the Cyclone 10 FPGA.  The MAX 10 is acting like a 2:1 mux for the JTAG signals. There is a switch SW1.4 which chooses whether the USB Blaster or the JTAG port connects to the Cyclone 10 FPGA.

So it looks like the answer is that as long as the switch is set the correct way the USB port is sufficient to both program the Cyclone 10 AND do the tethering for IP.

John S.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks for your update information.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We have not heard from you and I hope all is well. I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos