Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Cyclone II EP2C35 kit, how to evaluate PCI?

Hi, could someone help me with the Cyclone II PCI devel kit?  

The PCI Compiler IP generates time-limited evaluation only. This would be okay, but the PCI hosts/motherboards do not support hot-plug on the "ordinary" non-CardBus PCI slots. But a reset wipes the fpga configuration. So I would need instead to program the design into the non-volatile flash/PROM on the board. Correct? 

The problem is that the PCI IP time-limited evaluation somehow prevents the "Convert Programming Files" tool from generating the required *.jif from the input *.sof. Is this intentional? 

On the MaxII i could program the CPLD non-volatilely and run untethered for about an hour before the PCI stops.  

How to program Cyclone II similarly? 

TIA!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, could someone help me with the Cyclone II PCI devel kit?  

The PCI Compiler IP generates time-limited evaluation only. This would be okay, but the PCI hosts/motherboards do not support hot-plug on the "ordinary" non-CardBus PCI slots. But a reset wipes the fpga configuration. So I would need instead to program the design into the non-volatile flash/PROM on the board. Correct? 

The problem is that the PCI IP time-limited evaluation somehow prevents the "Convert Programming Files" tool from generating the required *.jif from the input *.sof. Is this intentional? 

On the MaxII i could program the CPLD non-volatilely and run untethered for about an hour before the PCI stops.  

How to program Cyclone II similarly? 

TIA! 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I think it is intentional that you could not generate other files. I don't understand that a reset ( do mean a PCI Reset ??) wipes out the FPGA programming. BTW: Where does the power of your FPGA board comes from ? You have to power-up your FPGA board independent from the PC. First power-up your FPGA board, programm the FPGA and start 

your PC. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Oops that was obvious :rolleyes: Thanks! I'll try it this time with the external supply connected!

0 Kudos