FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

Cyclone II as a DSP

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I am currently involved with a project where I have to design a graphic equaliser using FIR filters. I managed to easy make one using a Texas Instruments DSPSK and now I want to try to replicate this on my Cyclone II FPGA Starter Board.  

Basically, I am wanting to have an analogue signal in, convert to digital, the FPGA to amplify a band of frquencies, convert back to analogue and signal out.  

I have never used the audio in and out before and I am starting to learn about Verilog. The univeristy i am at has quartus but does not have DSPBuilder which i have recently discovered.  

Can you give me any starting tips, what software and type of coding to use? Any tutorials/examples would be much appriciated!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

All DSP examples published on the Altera website utilize DSPBuilder/MATLAB, also the DSP development kits. The FIR compiler may be interesting, too. You can evaluate it's operation, but need a subscription license to build a production design.  

But you can also code signal processing in generic HDL. Basically you can realize the same algorithms that you use with the DSP processor. I don't know how you made the DSP equalizer, but a digital equivalent to the common used analog analog audio equalizers would use IIR filters to minimize resource requirements. Because of the three decades frequency range, low frequency FIR audio filters imply a very high tap count. 

Regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos