FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Cyclone III-Control_Panel problem, dll not found

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to install control panel for cyclone III starter kit, but having problems. It installs succesfully (v7.2) but when i try to run the control panel, it gives the following error. 

This application has failed to start because jtag_client.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. 

and after i press OK, it gives 

fail to load dll 

C:\Altera\72\kits\cycloneIII_3c25_start\demos\cycloneIII_3c25_start_control_panel\software\alt_jtaglib.dll 

and finally after pressing OK to this gives 

fail to connect to developement kit.. 

I have tried to install it again and again but not successful. Kindly help me in this regard 

Thanks 

Saqib
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I get the same exact problem. I have windows XP. Has anyone have a solution to this? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Same problem here, with version 8.0, running on Vista. 

This topic is half a year old, hopefully somebody has a solution! 

Thank you, 

Johan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After a whole lot of digging I was able to figure out what the problem was. I had to do two things: 

1) Copy over jtag_client.dll and dinkum_alt.dll from "QUARTUS_ROOT_DIR\quartus\bin" to the Control Panel software folder. 

2) Add the following two directories to my windows system PATH variable: 

C:\altera\10.0\nios2eds\bin 

C:\altera\10.0\nios2eds\bin\nios2-gnutools\H-i686-pc-cygwin\bin 

Step 1 was courtesy of Terasic's tech support and has now been added to their technical FAQ webpage. Step 2 I figured out on my own and essentially consisted of having to go through each script and running them all manually until I figured out where they were failing. 

I have no idea why it is that some people have to do this fix and some people don't. Some people have no problems at all. Weird. Just FYI, my system is Windows 7 64-bit running Quartus and NIOS II EDS v10.0. 

Hope this helps someone in the future. 

Pz! 

Jonathon
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@Jonatho...so much thank to your post .. its really very good and easy dll missing (http://www.articlewritingclicks.com/errors/dll2.php) solution you have provide ....

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had a similar problem -- jtag_client.dll and other Quartus libraries could not be found when running software that was trying to use them. I found that my Quartus bin directory was not in my PATH environment variable. This was very strange because I know for a fact that it used to be in my PATH. 

Anyway, after adding the directory to the PATH env var (the directory in my case was C:\altera\91\quartus\bin) the problem went away. 

Hope this helps! 

LH
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I am trying to install control panel for cyclone III starter kit, but having problems. It installs succesfully (v7.2) but when i try to run the control panel, it gives the following error. 

This application has failed to start because jtag_client.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. 

and after i press OK, it gives 

fail to load dll 

C:\Altera\72\kits\cycloneIII_3c25_start\demos\cycloneIII_3c25_start_control_panel\software\alt_jtaglib.dll 

and finally after pressing OK to this gives 

fail to connect to developement kit.. 

I have tried to install it again and again but not successful. Kindly help me in this regard 

Thanks 

Saqib 

--- Quote End ---  

That helped for me .
0 Kudos