FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5924 Discussions

Cyclone III Development Example that shows all components

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does anybody know if there is an example project for the Cyclone III FPGA Development Kit that lets you see all of the components on the kit in one project?  

I would have thought there would have been an example for every component on the kit for beginners to try out. So far I have only found some limited examples one of which, the Board Diagnostics, which will not, for some reason, display the 7 segment or LCD diagnostics. 

I am new to FPGAs and this seems quite cryptic. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

AFAIK the 7-seg LED doesn't work on the kit due to a design mistake by Altera (not enough voltage for the LEDs), and there never has been any demo or even component made to use the graphics LCD screen. 

The latest example designs that can be downloaded (http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyc3.html) from the Altera website include the Ethernet interface that was missing on the CD. though.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I'm fairly new to Altera also, and I also struggled with the examples, or should I say, with the lack of examples. 

I also cannot believe that they sell a development board with almost no working examples, kind of defeats the point of using it as a learning tool. 

The few examples that they provide don't even work, and if you are new and self taught, it takes a lot of work to even get the examples to do anything.  

I mean, I am really disapointed, everytime I have bought a development board from any other company, the obvioussly come with examples for every piece of the board, but not with this one. Altera should really do something about it. 

Oh, and when you finally get the seven segment to work, then you'll realize there is a design flaw; the leds are bearlly visible. Did altera even test this board at all?? 

Anyway, if you sent me your email I'll send you the corrected example.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For some reason, I cannot private message you unless I have at least 10 posts and I don't feel comfortable broadcasting my email address. I do appreciate your response however.

0 Kudos