FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Cyclone III Evalution Kit Tutorial

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1.) 

Hi, I am newbie in Altera and FPGA. Can anyone tell where can I find a good tutorial for me to learn Nios II using Cyclone III Evaluation Kit? It is hard to find any good tutorial anywhere. :(.  

2) 

I find that the LED pin assignment for the my_first_fpga_tutorial and my_first_nios2_software_tutorial and the schematic provided by Altera is totally different. :confused: 

3) 

I anyone tell me how I control the 4 LED and 4 button on the Cyclone III Evalution Kit? I find that IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE,0x0F); does not work. So far only LED0 can work.  

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using too a CycloneIII FPGA, and I didn't find either any NiosII tutorial. I supposu you are using hardware description files for other type of fpga, because in the web there isn't any for CycloneIII. 

In that case the problem is the pinout configuration. You must assign the LED_PIO outputs to the correct pins of your fpga. You can find this information in the CycloneIII documentation that came with the evaluation kit that you have. 

I hope you can find the information easy and that it works fine
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've had the same problem, when I tried to set values to the led ports from NIOSII only LED0 was toggling. I thing it should be a wrong definition in SOPC Builder, because base adress from system.h is correct.

0 Kudos