FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Cyclone III Starter Board - CFI programming

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I tried to program the Intel P30 flash device following the instructions of the Cyclone III FPGA Starter Kit User Guide in Appendix A but the Quartus II Programmer shows three errors and the programming has not worked out. 

These are the errors: 

Error: Flash Loader IP not loaded on device 1 

Error: Unexpected error in JTAG server -- error code 5 

Error: Operation failed 

How I can solve my problem?  

Thanks 

Vincenzo Finocchiaro
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It probably means that the FPGA doesn't have the correct configuration in it to program your config memory from JTAG. 

What sort of file are you using to program it? If you're programming a serial config device from JTAG then you need a .jic. 

If you're using a .pof file then you need to connect straight to the config memory - i.e. not through JTAG - check that the prog / run switch is in the correct position.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using a .pof file as specified in Cyclone III Starter Kit User Guide - Appendix A. 

If I can't program the flash memory via USB interface on my board, I can try to configure my FPGA to load the .pof file in the flash. 

If you have a faster solution write me. 

Thanks in advance. 

Vincenzo Finocchiaro
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

Maybe it's too late by now, but I had the same problem today. I figured out, that you have to choose a PFL image for the Cyclone device to be able to program the flash memory with a *.pof file. You can find the images at ../quartus/common/devinfo/programmer. 

Hope this helps! 

Michaela
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

u must vonvert .sof to .pof and baseaddress=0x20000 then use quartus programmer to burn ,in programmer you can select auto detect then attach  

flash device then change file to select your .pof then check program/config top line auto select to default pfl then press start,ok.if you have nios in flash programmer you do not check Program FPGA configuration.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

u must vonvert .sof to .pof and baseaddress=0x20000 then use quartus programmer to burn ,in programmer you can select auto detect then attach  

flash device then change file to select your .pof then check program/config top line auto select to default pfl then press start,ok.if you have nios in flash programmer you do not check Program FPGA configuration. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello,  

Can you please explain more your procedure to program flash memory with a Nios core processor.
0 Kudos