FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5930 Discussions

Cyclone IV GX, DDR decoupling

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I'm actually doing schematics using the cyclone Iv gx evaluation board. I placed the same DDR2( Mircon MT47H16M16) but I wonder why there are only 40 caps (10x4 CN caps) when micron says to put caps on every signals ?  

Are theses caps only needed for DQ DQS and DM ?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Post the schematics, but I suppose You're talking about caps after termination resistors to Vref?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I'm talking about caps after termination resistors to Vref. 

Look page 11 on the attached schematic, it deals with CN3,CN4,CN9,CN11,CN2,CN1,CN15,CN17,CN16 and CN8. 

Thank you
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

These are required, but not necessary. The more, the better, but usually there is no requirement to overload the PCB with caps.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, fine. 

However, if these caps are required but not necessary, for which signals are they required for, to the extent there are only 40 caps but 61 ddr2a signals ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

These caps are placed to keep Vref plane as much clean as possible. You should add a cap near every termination resistor, but since You're probably using resistor networks (at least I did), then place at least one cap per resistor network. The common approach is to place 3 caps near one resistor network with values: 100nF, 10nF, 1nF.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Understood. Thank you for explanation.

0 Kudos