FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5929 Discussions

Cyclone IV GX starter kit, is there a PCIe example?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've bought a Cyclone IV GX starter kit thinking that it would kickstart my PCIe development. I'm now completely overwhelmed, and I'm hoping someone can point me at a PCIe example that I can just compile and download. I searched this forum and found an offering from MEV, but I really don't need more to think about at this point. 

I could also use guidance on the design flow of a simple PCIe design. Is there any useful Altera documentation?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Aaargh, the example doesn't fit in the device. The exact (1st of 9) error message is: 

Error: Pin G2 does not support I/O standard 1.4-V PCML fro tx_out0 

This is followed by: 

Error: Can't assign I/O pad "rx_in0" to PIN_J2 because this causes failure in the placement of the atoms in its associated channel
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I get the exact same error message when I try to compile the Cyclone IV GX example downloaded from https://www.altera.com/support/software/download/refdesigns/ip/interface/dnl-pciexpress-hp.jsp. I tried using Quartus II 10.1 and 11.0, and got the same error. 

If I add a PCIe core to a design using the MegaWizard, then open the chaining DMA example project that the wizard creates in a subdirectory of my design, that design compiels. Looking at the QSF file, it looks like the mega-wizard example does not set up pin locations or voltages.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was put in touch with MEV, so I tried their reference design (although you do have to pay £40 or 50 euro). Although there was a problem with their design, they were really helpful and got it sorted straight away, and I was up and running in a morning. They obviously lnow the technology inside out and in their opinion the Megawizard is buggy. Different versions of Quartus are not 'bug compatible' as my old mate tony would say, which is why the Altera design works on some old version of Quartus (but not on the recent stuff). 

Quite frankly I'm rather disappointed with Altera, so I've given up on their PCIe reference design.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You might want to try this one 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/pci_express_in_qsys_example_designs 

This is very simple and easy to understand.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi,  

You should download the cyclone iv gx starter kit (http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyclone-iv-starter.html?gsa_pos=1&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=cyclone iv gx starter kit)Kit installation CD and extracted the working example from the golden_top sample. It should be under cycloneIVGX_4cgx15_start\example folder.  

Alternatively, you can get it from the attachement here.  

Hope this help :)
0 Kudos
WZhan10
Beginner

Hi

I used the PCIE HARD IP in the Cyclone IV GX starter kit, the Timequest showed that the setup SLACK is NEGATIVE(when the speed level of the device is C8).

It can be ok when I use the speed level C6.

Do I have to use the C6 device if I want to use the PCIE IP ?

thank you

john

0 Kudos