FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Cyclone V SOC development kit boot up error with factory default settings

MohanY
New Contributor I

Hello,

I am getting the following error with the Cyclone V SOC development kit on powering up. I made sure all the jumpers are set according to the user guide. This is what I am seeing on UART (Tera Term) terminal. 

U-Boot SPL 2013.01.01 (Dec 04 2014 - 08:59:41)
BOARD : Altera SOCFPGA Cyclone V Board
CLOCK: EOSC1 clock 25000 KHz
CLOCK: EOSC2 clock 25000 KHz
CLOCK: F2S_SDR_REF clock 0 KHz
CLOCK: F2S_PER_REF clock 0 KHz
CLOCK: MPU clock 925 MHz
CLOCK: DDR clock 400 MHz
CLOCK: UART clock 100000 KHz
CLOCK: MMC clock 50000 KHz
CLOCK: QSPI clock 370000 KHz
RESET: COLD
SDRAM: Initializing MMR registers
SDRAM: Calibrating PHY
SEQ.C: Preparing to start memory calibration
SEQ.C: CALIBRATION PASSED
SDRAM: 1024 MiB
SDRAM: ECC Enabled
ALTERA DWMMC: 0
spl: No MBR signature is found
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Mohan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MohanY
New Contributor I

I solved the problem. There was something wrong with the SD Card image. I tried the factory recovery image & the image from rocketboards.org. They both did not work. We bought 2 boards at the same time and the second one booted up fine. I cloned the image and it worked on the first board. It's unfortunate that you don't a repository of the correct images. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Is this board new? How about the image where did you get the image?

0 Kudos
MohanY
New Contributor I

Yes, this is a brand new board. I used the SD image that  is on the flash card placed on the board. 

When I tried to program the FPGA (factory default - system_max_RevE1.pof) it said "failed". I can see the components in JTAG chain. Do I need to set the SEL CON (three LEDS right next to CPU Rest) in mode 1? The board powers up with LED at 0 lighting up.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

We regret that you faced such issue, typically you can already boot the Cyclone V SoC Dev Kit board without any changes with the SD Card image or download prebuilt images from the rocketboards:

https://releases.rocketboards.org/release/2019.10/gsrd/cv_gsrd/

Alternatively you can build your own:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/BuildingBootloader#Cyclone_V_SoC_and_Arria_V_SoC

0 Kudos
MohanY
New Contributor I

I solved the problem. There was something wrong with the SD Card image. I tried the factory recovery image & the image from rocketboards.org. They both did not work. We bought 2 boards at the same time and the second one booted up fine. I cloned the image and it worked on the first board. It's unfortunate that you don't a repository of the correct images. 

0 Kudos
martinonorcas
Novice

I am going through purgatory trying to get my brand new Cyclone V SOC Dev git to boot the Pre compiled Linux image.

Any help is much appreciated.

Do you still have a copy of the image that worked for you?

Would you have at least an image of the board as configured and working?

Including jumpers, DIPS and lights.

I only have one board but have been around the loop numerous times with no progress

Thanks Martin

0 Kudos