FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5227 Discussions

Cyclone V SOC development kit boot up error with factory default settings

MohanY
New Contributor I

Hello,

I am getting the following error with the Cyclone V SOC development kit on powering up. I made sure all the jumpers are set according to the user guide. This is what I am seeing on UART (Tera Term) terminal. 

U-Boot SPL 2013.01.01 (Dec 04 2014 - 08:59:41)
BOARD : Altera SOCFPGA Cyclone V Board
CLOCK: EOSC1 clock 25000 KHz
CLOCK: EOSC2 clock 25000 KHz
CLOCK: F2S_SDR_REF clock 0 KHz
CLOCK: F2S_PER_REF clock 0 KHz
CLOCK: MPU clock 925 MHz
CLOCK: DDR clock 400 MHz
CLOCK: UART clock 100000 KHz
CLOCK: MMC clock 50000 KHz
CLOCK: QSPI clock 370000 KHz
RESET: COLD
SDRAM: Initializing MMR registers
SDRAM: Calibrating PHY
SEQ.C: Preparing to start memory calibration
SEQ.C: CALIBRATION PASSED
SDRAM: 1024 MiB
SDRAM: ECC Enabled
ALTERA DWMMC: 0
spl: No MBR signature is found
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Mohan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MohanY
New Contributor I

I solved the problem. There was something wrong with the SD Card image. I tried the factory recovery image & the image from rocketboards.org. They both did not work. We bought 2 boards at the same time and the second one booted up fine. I cloned the image and it worked on the first board. It's unfortunate that you don't a repository of the correct images. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Is this board new? How about the image where did you get the image?

MohanY
New Contributor I

Yes, this is a brand new board. I used the SD image that  is on the flash card placed on the board. 

When I tried to program the FPGA (factory default - system_max_RevE1.pof) it said "failed". I can see the components in JTAG chain. Do I need to set the SEL CON (three LEDS right next to CPU Rest) in mode 1? The board powers up with LED at 0 lighting up.

Thank you for your help.

EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

We regret that you faced such issue, typically you can already boot the Cyclone V SoC Dev Kit board without any changes with the SD Card image or download prebuilt images from the rocketboards:

https://releases.rocketboards.org/release/2019.10/gsrd/cv_gsrd/

Alternatively you can build your own:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/BuildingBootloader#Cyclone_V_SoC_and_Arria_V_SoC

MohanY
New Contributor I

I solved the problem. There was something wrong with the SD Card image. I tried the factory recovery image & the image from rocketboards.org. They both did not work. We bought 2 boards at the same time and the second one booted up fine. I cloned the image and it worked on the first board. It's unfortunate that you don't a repository of the correct images.