FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5239 Discussions

Cyclone V, System Time after Reset

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi everybody, 

I've got a Cyclone V Dev.- Board (Model: E), with a NIOS 2 Processor. 

I want to read out the System Time from the Dev- Board, and want to set the System Time to the Dev- Board, that the Dev's time is the actual Date and Time. 

After i reset the Board, the kit should show me the actual date and time via c-code. 

Often i tried things like settimeofday() and gettimeofday() in different variants (tried "localtime" too), but doesnt work (i can show you the code if relevant) 

After a power down and a power up again, the Board just showed me the first january 1970, 0:00:00. There is plugged a new CR2032 Battery under the LCD- Screen. 

The NIOS 2 Processor is not configurated for the systemTime, but i think, it doesnt matter. 

My next idea would be, that i set the system time via the altera BTS, but Its not sure, if the BTS supports the set- method. 

Does anybody have an idea? 

Thank you. 

Best regards, 

Thomas
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

+Additionaly to above: I am using a single- Thread - System, not a multithreading system. System in C- Code is creating via NIOS II 14.0 

Now i found out that in "System.h" there is a Define called SYSTEM_TIMER_ALWAYS_RUN. Maybe, this should be enabled? It's set to 0 at the moment. 

Other idea: Normally you should start the avalon timer once, set the actual time in the avalon_timer, then set SYSTEM_TIMER_ALWAYS_RUN to 1, and you could ask for the actual seconds, so you get the time. 

Is this way right?