FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5287 Discussions

CycloneV U-Boot FPGA Load Fails: Code -6

JFrye2
Novice

Hello, I am trying to program the FPGA of my CycloneV from U-Boot. It appears to be failing and I am not sure why. The exact u-boot commands are

echo --- Programming FPGA --- echo -----Loading image------ # load rbf from FAT partition into memory fatload mmc 0:1 ${fpgadata} socfpga.rbf; # program FPGA echo -----Print filesize----- printenv filesize; echo -----Program FPGA------- fpga load 0 ${fpgadata} ${filesize}; # enable HPS-to-FPGA, FPGA-to-HPS, LWHPS-to-FPGA bridges echo -----Enabling IFs-------- bridge enable;

What I am seeing during boot is the following

Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0 449 bytes read in 3 ms (145.5 KiB/s) ## Executing script at 02000000 --- Programming FPGA --- -----Loading image------ 7007204 bytes read in 366 ms (18.3 MiB/s) -----Print filesize----- filesize=6aebe4 -----Program FPGA------- Command 'load' failed: Error -6 -----Enabling IFs-------- switch to partitions #0, OK mmc0 is current device

What does the error code -6 mean? When I look at FPGA manager status in Linux, it prints the following.

root@cyclone5:~# cat /sys/class/fpga_manager/fpga0/state write init

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Is this based on the GHRD? or custom design.

JFrye2
Novice

@AhmedH_Intel​ , sorry for the delayed response. This is a custom design. I tried putting my question out on the u-boot mailing list and they redirected me back here since Intel maintains https://github.com/altera-opensource/u-boot-socfpga

I am targetting DE1-SoC with the u-boot software from the repo above.

I tried socfpga_cyclone5_defconfig and that led to the programming error.

I also tried socfpga_de1_soc_defconfig and I didnt even get console messages when I booted when I used that configuration.

I can send you a zip of the hardware design if needed.

Thanks.

Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Are you trying to store the kernel or the FPGA image on the flash? (like Nand flash)

I saw this issue before while storing them on a NAND flash. We recommend storing the file system on NAND.

Please confirm.

sf69
Beginner

with the Cyclone V SOC Development Board

i have the same issue, loading from u-boot the rbf file:

=> dhcp ${loadaddr} soc_system.rbf
Bytes transferred = 7007204 (6aebe4 hex)
=> fpga load 0 ${loadaddr} $filesize;
Command 'load' failed: Error -6

But if i compress the rbf file:

=> dhcp ${loadaddr} soc_system_compressed.rbf
Bytes transferred = 3051080 (2e8e48 hex)
=> fpga load 0 ${loadaddr} $filesize;

it works

is there a size limit somewhere ?

thanks