FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

DE0-Nano Nios II won't boot from EPCS if Compression is Enabled

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, I want to use the EPCS on the DE0-Nano board to configure the FPGA and boot Nios II from it. I am using Quartus Prime 15.1. I found that if I enable compression for the sof file when generating the jic file, Nios will not boot. If I don't enable compression, it will boot normally. 

I think there might be a problem with the sof2flash tool. So no matter I use the --compress or not, the flash file will have the same size. I look in the Nios II Flash Programmer User Guide, which says that --compress is only available for Cyclone II, III, Stratix II, III. 

I am wondering if my problem is related to the sof2flash tool. Or are there any other settings related to compression need to be changed? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you use Onchip memory or SDRAM?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am doing the same thing with you but for me no matter I compress or not, the software is not boot after reset. 

In your case, the software is load if not compress, right? 

How did you do that? 

Did you follow this tutorial? ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/15.0/tutorials/de0-nano/using_de0-nano_flash.pdf 

Is there any bugs in the tutorial? I also follow it but not work for me.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using the SDRAM. I didn't use the Altera Monitor, you can try the method in this guide. 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/kdb/rd11122013_865/nios-ii-boot-from-epcq-and-epcs-in-quartus-ii-13_0.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you ylfyf 

According to the document, the method stated there is for the Cyclone V. 

But FPGA in DE0 Nano is Cyclone IV E. 

Is it ok to follow the method?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thank you ylfyf 

According to the document, the method stated there is for the Cyclone V. 

But FPGA in DE0 Nano is Cyclone IV E. 

Is it ok to follow the method? 

--- Quote End ---  

It's a general method. Only the first two steps apply to V series (and when used with Quartus II 13.0), so you can skip them and start from step 3.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much yflyf 

Your document has the following step 8 - 10 that isn't described in ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/15.0/tutorials/de0-nano/using_de0-nano_flash.pdf

8. Click the “Add Hex Data” button 

9. Select “Relative Addressing” 

10. Select your <project>.hex file containing your Nios II software image 

However, I have tried all of them but still not work :(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have finally solved the problem. By changing to Windows 7 and Qusrtus 13.1. Thanks Altera!!!

0 Kudos