FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5279 Discussions

DE0-Nano Problem booting into Linux using examples

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I followed instructions in "DE0-Nano-SoC_Getting_Started_Guide" and it was fine until Chapter 5.4 Running Linux on DE0-Nano-SoC board.  

I think I have followed the instructions strictly but perhaps somewhere went wrong. 

Symptom:  

When I opened PuTTY and started a serial session, PuTTY gave me a black console. Nothing was there except a small green block. Where it should be some booting info and wait me to type "root" to log in. 

What I have noticed/tried:1. In Section 5.2 (preparing microSD card), I found the unzipped image "DE0_Nano_SoC_Linux_Console.img" cannot be mounted by windows. I tried downloading multiple times, and it did not help. 

2. In the same section, I noticed that the volume of prepared microSD card had been changed. The kit I purchased comes with a 4GB microSD and it became 817 MB after using Win32 disk imager. Same thing happened to another SD card of mine.  

3. The prepared microSD contains following files/folder: 

a. Temp (empty folder, probably generated by my zip software) 

b. de0_nano_soc.rbf 

c. socfpga.dtb 

d.u-boot.scr 

e.zImage 

The total size of these files is merely about 6 MB. I suspect something is missing. 

4. When PuTTY gave me a black screen, I detached the usb on the DE0_Nano side while leaving the usb cord connected to the laptop. And the PuTTY did not give any error.  

5. When I open the port COM4 (the port for my DE0_Nano), the default speed was 9600 instead of 115200. My setting on PuTTY was 115200. I have tried both speeds but didn't help. 

How can I fix this problem? Thank you.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It has been solved. I did not insert microSD card properly. That's it.