FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

DE0 Nano SDRAM restrictions?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I am an Electronics Student at the University of Bath and I am running my Final Year Project from a DE0 Nano board. 

I am trying to write a significant amount (~ 2MB ) of data to the SDRAM using the DE0 Nano Control Panel in a .hex file format and I keep getting errors. 

The error is ... 

"Assertion failed: dwPayloadLen <= PKT_PC2NIOS_MAX_PL_LEN, file D:\svn\DE0_Nano_ControlPanel\Board.cpp, line 299" 

Do you think this is an error in the program, or a built-in restriction? I have e-mailed Terasic for an explanation, but I was wondering if anyone out there has a quick work-around / any experience with this error?  

I really need a fix for this quickly so a swift response with any possible options I have would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks a lot, 

Tom Bailey
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just order one of this boards but i have not yet received it.  

Anyway i think that the file you are transferring is actually going to the EPCS16. That is the Altera configuration device that holds the program for the cyclone IV. The EPCS16 have 16Mbit of memory (approximately 2Mbyte).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I was correctly writing to the SDRAM, it turns out that Terasic had an error in their control panel that prevents you from writing any large files to it. 

They acknowledged this bug and quickly went me a fix,so very pleased with their service. 

Keep checking their website for updated files ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's very useful information. Thanks for sharing it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How do i download the fix?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would keep checking this website, where you can download updated versions of the system CD. They sent me a patch on the April 21st, and the most recent version on their website is 17th April (which does not contain the fix). 

Hopefully they will update it soon, but if you need it quickly I would just email support@terasic.com and request an updated copy.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I hope they update it soon :/

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you're just looking for the updated control panel, I have attached it here. We'll update the entire CD soon! Thanks for your patience.

0 Kudos