FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5953 Discussions

DE0-Nano - Which component is it?

Eric_truite
Beginner

Hello,

I use the DE0-Nano board for several university projects and I noticed that it is heating excessively. Using an infrared camera, I observed that a component is reaching over 150°C. I suspect it may be faulty and possibly short-circuited. I would like to know which component it is, what its purpose is, and if it is connected through ports or other means. Working in electrically noisy environments, I wonder if it could have coupled with the power cable or the USB cable. If this component is not essential for my applications, I plan to desolder it.

It's marked as U25 on the FPGA, and LCXY N354 602 (the last two terms vary depending on the FPGA).

IR_0464.jpg

Composant_FPGA.jpg

 Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
_AK6DN_
Valued Contributor I

It was not hard to find. The part has a U25 reference next to it. Look at the last page of the schematic ... upper left corner.

Here it is ... it is the key part of the 5V to 9V DC-DC upconverter that supplies the LTC 2x7 connector J17.

Capture.JPG

And for reference Terasic is not part of Intel, never has been. It is a Taiwan based totally separate company.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

That doesn't look like a DE0-Nano: https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=165&No=593&PartNo=4#contents

If it's a Terasic board, check their site for schematics.

0 Kudos
_AK6DN_
Valued Contributor I
0 Kudos
Eric_truite
Beginner

Hi guys,

Yes, I know that my card is a DE0-Nano-SOC. I should have specified that it was the underside view (I didn't know there were DE0-Nano without SoC, my bad). Terasic, yes, but it's part of Intel...
I have the documentation, thank you, because I own the product. Unless I'm mistaken, this component is not listed there. I use FPGAs to control my power electronics, not really my area of expertise. 
So I'm turning to FPGA and electronics experts to see if you have any idea what component this is, or better : the circuitry.

It's purely hardware and quite exotic as a question, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Perhaps the router of the DE0-Nano is watching me!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
The function of U25 (5V to 9V boost converter) has been explained in detail by _AK6DN_ above. 9V rail isn't used on the board, it's supplying IO connectors. If the device overheats without external load, it's most likely defective. It can be removed if you don't use 9V suppy.
_AK6DN_
Valued Contributor I

It was not hard to find. The part has a U25 reference next to it. Look at the last page of the schematic ... upper left corner.

Here it is ... it is the key part of the 5V to 9V DC-DC upconverter that supplies the LTC 2x7 connector J17.

Capture.JPG

And for reference Terasic is not part of Intel, never has been. It is a Taiwan based totally separate company.

0 Kudos
Eric_truite
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you very much, gentlemen. I must have missed something, but can we access the FPGA schematics? (Here is the link I found to access them: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/develop/external/us/en/documents/de10-nano-schematic-849456.pdf ). I thought it was supposed to remain secret to prevent reverse engineering or something like that.

So it seems to be only the J17 connector that's causing trouble, which I've never used. I doubt it has been externally disrupted; it's strange that it has stopped working. I only use the GPIO connector, so I think I'll desolder that poor U25.

I had read that Terasic is part of the Intel® Internet of Things Solutions Alliance, blah blah, so I thought it was a subsidiary or something like that. Anyway!

Thanks for everything, and looking forward to chatting again sometime!

Best regards.

0 Kudos
NazrulNaim_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

Best regards,

Nazrul Naim

0 Kudos