FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

DE0_Nano: bad PLL jitter

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I implemented Terasic's "My First FPGA" tutorial, and the 5Mhz PLL output is erratic. 

The project uses an ALTPLL to divide the onboard 50MHz oscillator down to 5MHz. 

I routed the clock to a GPIO and monitor with my logic analyzer. 

But the GPIO output wavers between 4 and 6 MHz (clock is high/low for: 83ns, 83ns, 1167ns, 83ns, 83ns, 1167ns, ...) 

I used the Megafunction Wizard to add the ALTPLL. My input is 50 MHz, output is 5 MHz, ratio 1/10, duty cycle 50%. All options are disabled (reset on loss of lock, etc). I'm routing to GPIO_10 / PIN_F13, if that matters. 

Am I missing something? I'm pretty confident in the Logic analyzer; 5MHz is well within its bandwidth. 

The jitter doesn't matter for LEDs, but now I'm trying to clock serial data into an IC on a breadboard, and it's become annoying. 

Thanks, 

Sean
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Shouldn't happen. I would monitor PLL locked signal to get additional information. 

Self-reset at least won't hurt. I'm not absolutely sure how the PLL works without a global reset.