FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

DE0-Nano .pof programming

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi I have a DE0 (Cyclone III) and a DE0-Nano (Cyclone IV). 

When active serial programming the DE0 with a .pof file I put the DE0 into PROGRAM MODE using the (RUN/PROG) switch. 

But I can't find the equivalent switch on the DE0-Nano board? 

So my programming fails. 

The manual doesn't mention the process to follow. 

Anyone have any ideas? 

Ian
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have tried to run the Terasic Control Panel software (under Win7 32-bit as administrator) to see if I can program from there but I get an error message saying... 

"The program can't start because jtag_client.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." 

So I don't know if the Control Panel would allow programming as I can't get it to work. 

The file jtag_client.dll was not part of the Terasic DE0-Nano CDROM. 

Ian
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi I have a DE0 (Cyclone III) and a DE0-Nano (Cyclone IV). 

When active serial programming the DE0 with a .pof file I put the DE0 into PROGRAM MODE using the (RUN/PROG) switch. 

But I can't find the equivalent switch on the DE0-Nano board? 

So my programming fails. 

The manual doesn't mention the process to follow. 

Anyone have any ideas? 

Ian 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Ian, 

You're going to have to generate a .JIC file (converted from your .sof) to program your DE0-Nano. You can do this by: 

1. <Quartus II> File->Convert Programming Files... 

2. Under "Programming File Type," choose "JTAG Indirect Configuration File(.jic)". 

3. Under "Configuration Device" select "EPCS16." 

4. Click on "Flash Loader" in the lower box, and click on "Add Device..." on the right hand side. Click on Cyclone IV E, then EP4CE22. Click OK. 

5. Click on "SOF Data", and click on "Add File..." on the right hand side. Choose your .sof file. 

6. Click on generate. You should get an "output_file.jic" (you can change this if you want). 

7. Now go to Quartus Programmer, and remove whatever file is in there. Then click on "Add File..." and select your .jic file. 

8. Check the "Program/Configure" checkbox, and "Start". 

9. After programming is finished, unplug your DE0-Nano, and replug it. Your program should start by default.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks you for the quick reply. 

That solved the problem. 

I also referred to the following once you told me where to start (needing a .jic). 

http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an370.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot for that! 

I was 1 hour trying to program my de0 nano through a .pof file.
0 Kudos