FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

DE0 Nano problems getting pins to work

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am working on a design with a De0 nano board, and I am having problems with getting pins to work. Quite a number of pins are working OK, but others dont output. In particular, pins A12, T13, R13, T12, do not work. I have rerouted the internal signals to other pins and they work, for instance the signal to A12 was rerouted to C9, and then works fine. 

So, a couple of questions. 

1/ Are all the pins on the 40 pin expansion headers dedicated to the headers, or do they have other functions? 

2/ I presume all pin assignments as shown in the latest version of the user guide are correct? 

3/ Is there some other way of setting up pins apart from the pin planner? Everything in there seems to be correct. 

I am also having problems with Quartus, including the verbal garbage that the reports spew out. I put in two pins and although they were in the .BDF drawing, and I could partly assign pins in the pin planner, and the pin names would appear in the .BDF drawing, on compilation the compiler would not recognise these pins and gave a message that the nodes were not in the .BDF drawing!! I hand edited the .V file that the compiler generates, and got the pins to appear. 

All very frustrating! 

Any help gratefully received.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just found an html document in the Terasic stuff, it appears that A14 might be wrong, should be N14. I'll check it and report back. A couple of other pins are not the same in this document as the user guide. Hmmmm.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, user error, and I have recompiled, so we will see what happens!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can also edit the .qsf file using a text editor manually to assign the pins :) works if you have tons of pins to assign. faster than using the GUI.

0 Kudos