FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

DE0 UART Implementation Questions

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, I am currently trying to implement a UART interface on my DE0 board (not the DE0-nano). There are several resources for this and I've gotten a bit confused. In QSYS there is a UART core, on the DE0 there is also an ADM3202 RS232 chip that can be used (with break out connections on the side of the board).  

My question is, if i use the IP core do I need to connect the output pins to the ADM3202 chip, or should I just connect the outputs to GPIO pins? Also, if I choose to use the ADM3202 chip does it work with an IP core or do I directly interface with it? 

I can see quite a bit of guidance about the IP and about the chip, but I can't seem to find anything that relates to both. 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A UART outputs a serial data stream at logic levels, eg., probably 3.3V on your DE0. 

The ADM3202 is a level translator, it converts the 3.3V logic level to the RS232 standard (+/-10V or so levels), and most likely routes those signals to a DB9 connector (I don't have a DE0 so am not sure about this statement, the signals might also go to a header). 

If you want to talk to your DE0 using a USB-to-RS232 cable or using a COM port on a PC, then you need to use the DB9 connector on the DE0. 

If you want to talk to your DE0 using a microcontroller development kit, or a USB-to-Serial cable that has logic level outputs (like the FTDI C232HM cable), then you would route the UART IP signals to GPIO headers and connect those headers *and* a ground signal to your microcontroller or USB-to-Serial cable. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ahhh, that makes perfect sense, thanks very much.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sir will you please let me know how to communicate serial interface with GUI after adding serial IP core in SOPC builder of DE-0 board . I just new for NIOS tool so what i should do in NIOS tool for further communication .....better if u give me some example project on it ....

0 Kudos