FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5234 Discussions

DE0 UART Implementation Questions

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, I am currently trying to implement a UART interface on my DE0 board (not the DE0-nano). There are several resources for this and I've gotten a bit confused. In QSYS there is a UART core, on the DE0 there is also an ADM3202 RS232 chip that can be used (with break out connections on the side of the board).  

My question is, if i use the IP core do I need to connect the output pins to the ADM3202 chip, or should I just connect the outputs to GPIO pins? Also, if I choose to use the ADM3202 chip does it work with an IP core or do I directly interface with it? 

I can see quite a bit of guidance about the IP and about the chip, but I can't seem to find anything that relates to both. 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A UART outputs a serial data stream at logic levels, eg., probably 3.3V on your DE0. 

The ADM3202 is a level translator, it converts the 3.3V logic level to the RS232 standard (+/-10V or so levels), and most likely routes those signals to a DB9 connector (I don't have a DE0 so am not sure about this statement, the signals might also go to a header). 

If you want to talk to your DE0 using a USB-to-RS232 cable or using a COM port on a PC, then you need to use the DB9 connector on the DE0. 

If you want to talk to your DE0 using a microcontroller development kit, or a USB-to-Serial cable that has logic level outputs (like the FTDI C232HM cable), then you would route the UART IP signals to GPIO headers and connect those headers *and* a ground signal to your microcontroller or USB-to-Serial cable. 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ahhh, that makes perfect sense, thanks very much.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sir will you please let me know how to communicate serial interface with GUI after adding serial IP core in SOPC builder of DE-0 board . I just new for NIOS tool so what i should do in NIOS tool for further communication .....better if u give me some example project on it ....