FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

DE1 SD-Card access question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have the DE1 dev Board and using it with Quartus 2 10.1 SP1. 

So I want to access an SD-Card plugged into the DE1's sd slot without a NIOS architecture, just pure vhdl logic. That is no problem, as I am doing that in some state machine logic then, but it seems there is no input from the wires / connections when driving the card into the SPI mode. I read just 0 from SD_DAT0, regardless which command I send either (CMD0 in that case would init SPI mode as descripted on the papers.) 

I managed to add all the related pins for the sd-card from the "DE1_SD_Card_Audio" example and well checked it too with the board layout pdf file if it is correct. nCEO pin is set to regular I/O. 

The SD-Cards (no HC) are at different size, one is 64MB and the other 2GB. 

Here is an simplified version of the code I created in vhdl so far using some sd papers / tutorials. 

1. After power on hold the card 1ms idle. 

2. Then CS (DAT3) and DI (CMD) = 1, clock SD_CLK for 74 times. 

3. CS (DAT3) = 0 & Sending CMD0 in serial bit stream aligned to the clock. 

4. DI (CMD) = 1 & Wait 8 bytes long (so far I tried from 0-10) 8 * 8 cycles for the response while clock SD_CLK. 

5. Read the possible response from negated SD_DAT0. 

But response is always 0. 

Is there any known issue for the DE1 SD-Card slot or pins/wires assignment notices to consider? I debugged and simulated already, the pins are successfully connected to the outlets by the assembler. 

I someone wants to investigate my vhdl code files, I will post him/her via p.m. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

What will be the step by step to program this. 

Please help, i try to used the demo program.