FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

DE1 USB communication

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I was wondering if there is any way to have USB communication on the DE1 board? I read a few articles regarding use of the Virtual JTAG which seemed interesting (I am yet to try those). 

The Qsys tool shows a USB Controller in its components menu. Can this be used to have a USB Communication? I do not know how to begin :confused: 

-Ankur
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Cool. This takes the TCP/ IP route. I am starting the tutorial now. :) 

What do you think about using the Qsys USB controller? 

-Ankur
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What do you think about using the Qsys USB controller? 

--- Quote End ---  

I've never used it. You'd need to read its documentation. For example, it might only be available on the newer ARM SoC devices. Older generation devices do not have USB interfaces. A board like the DE1 might have a USB controller (DE2 has an ISP1362), but a Qsys interface to this is "nothing" more than an interface to the device registers. You then need to interface to it using a NIOS II or your own HDL. 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

This takes the TCP/ IP route. 

--- Quote End ---  

Actually it uses the JTAG interface. The TCP/IP example is layered on top of that so that you do not have to use Tcl if you do not want to. 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanx a ton Dave. I atleast have a direction to look into. 

And yes, my bad about that :)