FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5234 Discussions

DE1 board : SD-RAM expansion possible ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

for my project , simulating a vintage disk drive ( DEC RL02 ), I have not enough memory ( 8 Mbyte SD-RAM ) available on the DE1 board. The SD card can't be used in my case, because a SD card can only be written a limmited number of times. It would be very helpful if I can expand (doubling or tripling) the 8 Mbyte SD RAM. 

Does somebody has an idea or note ? 

( Replacing via soldering the SD-RAM chips is not possible for me ) 

Is there a memory extension available via expansion header connector ? 

Or, a hard-Disk adapter for the SD-Card connector. 

At least, has somebody a recommendation for another development board ? 

Thanks an regards, Reinhard
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't see why you couldn't put another RAM onto one of the 40-pin connectors, but it would have to be either SRAM or (non-DDR) SDRAM because you're stuck with 3.3v i/o. As far as I know, only SRAM & SDRAM have 3.3v i/io - all the good stuff (DDR, DDR2, DDR3) is < 3.3v. 

This was what was so frustrating about the BEMicro SDK - it has the nice 64MB of DDR SDRAM, but uses Mobile DDR SDRAM with little-to-no documentation, so you have to fork out for the ip before you can use it for more than 30 days... Great cheap board, cr@ppy licensing. 

In terms of other boards, the next-step-up (DE2-115, $299 academic, $595 for hobbyists like me) has 128MB of SDRAM and 2MB of SRAM. If it had a PCIe connector, I'd have bought one by now :) 

Simon
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not sure if you need any other peripherals on the DE1, but you can also check out the DE0-Nano. It has 32MB SD-RAM. You can check it out at www.de0-nano.terasic.com.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Many thanks for the upgrade infos !  

The DE0-Nano will be my new favourit. This board is very reasonably priced  

and it schould not be a problem to add a SD-Card connector ( in my case, to be able to load the entire vintage-disk contens from SD card to SD Memory ) ?  

Regards, Reinhard