FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5910 Discussions

DE10-nano HPS boot from flash

jackhab
New Contributor I

Hello

I was trying program bootloader to DE10-nano evaluation board and got the following error:

$ quartus_hps.exe -c 1 -o PV 'c:\My\1609\preloader-mkpimage.bin'
Current hardware is: DE-SoC [USB-1]
Successfully change hardware frequency to 16Mhz
Found HPS at device 1
Double check JTAG chain
HPS Device IDCODE: 0x4BA00477
AHB Port is located at port 0
APB Port is located at port 1
Double check device identification ...
Error: BSEL (5) is neither from NAND nor QSPI, set the correct BSEL and powercycle your board
Error: Quartus Prime Programmer was unsuccessful. 0 errors, 0 warnings
Error: Peak virtual memory: 4254 megabytes
Error: Processing ended: Thu Aug 18 11:58:45 2022
Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:02
Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:00

Later I found that Terasic DE10-nano Wiki says the board does not have neither NAND nor QSPI flash but the board schematic do shows S25FL128 flash connected to Cyclone V.

When I set MSEL switch on board to EPCS configuration and I can see FPGA demo LEDs work so why can't I program this flash with HPS boot image?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
aikeu
Employee

Hi jackhab,

I think the schematic you are looking at is a base reference for other Cyclone V models as well.

Refer to the link below from Terasic Wiki, DE10 Nano doesnt have NAND and QSPI flash mounted on the board:

http://www.terasic.com.tw/wiki/DE10_Nano_FAQ_EN#:~:text=From%20Terasic%20Wiki&text=A%3AThis%20is%20because%20%22quartus_hps,programming%20and%20QSPI%20boot%2C%20either.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
jackhab
New Contributor I

Hi Aik,

This is a bit strange because I when take the SD card out and set the MSEL switch to QSPI mode the board has FPGA configured after reset - the orange conf LED is on and user LEDs are blinking with a nice looking pattern. Probably, this Wiki page is not up to date.

I suspect the problem is that Golden Reference design does not have QSPI as  HPS peripheral.

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi jackhab,

Are you selecting the MSEL[4..0] = “10010”?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi jackhab,

Any further update from your previous comment?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi jackhab,

Any follow up on this particular issue?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi jackhab,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos