FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5234 Discussions

DE10 - where can I get started?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've recently purchased a DE10-Nano board, and ... I'm struggling to get started with it. My best guess is that I just can't find the right documentation and/or example projects. All my project needs to do is to connect my FPGA peripheral/component to one of the HPS controlled buses, to be able to read and write registers from my component, etc. Building such a peripheral should be easy--I've been working with FPGA's for several years. The software portion that will interact with this peripheral should be even easier to build--I've been writing software and embedded software for decades now. 

Where I'm struggling is figuring out how to create a design that then works with the rest of the system: uboot, Linux, etc. I'll need Ethernet and SDRAM, but not necessarily HDMI, or any of the other wonderful parts of the board. 

I started with the documentation that came with a reference CD I could download. However, when I tried working with this reference design in Qsys, it immediately upgraded all of the components. When I then finished building the design, nothing worked--the ARM never got past the past loading the FPGA during U-Boot. After loading the FPGA, things hung and I could never figure out why. My guess is that I tried building a design with Quartus 17 which was built for Quartus 16.0 or below, although until I finish figuring out the problem I doubt I'll truly know. 

So, I started looking for a golden hardware design that worked which I could build and then modify. I found a variety of Cyclone-V SoC images on RocketBoards, but when I just copied them to an SD-Card for a sanity check to make sure they would work, then I didn't even get as as far as I had before. (No messages on the console) I get the feeling that these images are inappropriate for the DE10-Nano (I don't really know), but can't seem to find where a good De10-Nano starting point should be. 

Can anyone therefore point me to a working design that I can modify and then rebuild for the DE10? 

Thanks, 

Dan
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Never mind, I managed to get the golden design from the DE10 CD working with Quartus 17.1. I'm not sure what all I changed, but I started back at the beginning with a brand new project, placed *ONLY* the GHRD into the project, and ... it worked. 

Now I can make changes and know that, if any thing stops working, the difference was the changes. 

Dan