FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5924 Discussions

DE2 10base T ethernet project without NiosII

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey all, 

I'm total newbie to the world of FPGAs and development boards:confused::eek:. I have been working on this project with fellow students of generating Ethernet packets on the DE2 and sending them to a PC over a 10base T network. We've tried to implement the 10 base T tutorial from fpga4fun.com on the DE2 with no luck:mad:. I was wondering if this ethernet packet project can be done WITHOUT the use of the NiosII application to program the PHY DM900A chip on the board? Any help, advice, or guidance is greatly appriciated. 

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi rudyjudy, 

I think it's possible not to use NIOS II application to program DM9000A. You can program it with verilog or vhdl but it is quite difficult because you have to follow the sequencial procedure just like in NIOS II application. Maybe you can design an FSM to help your job. Using the application simplify your work. I recommend you to use it. Good luck:)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have trying do that. I wrote a VHDL code to control the DM900A without a NIOS II, but I´m not sucess with this project. Now, I´m trying do the project with NIOS II for have sure that C code is correct, and after I will try again WITHOUT a NIOS II. 

I didn´t get still do that, even with the NIOS II. 

If I have some news, I post here, and I´m waiting for news, too.
0 Kudos