FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5148 Discussions

DE2-115 complete beginners question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I am completely new to FPGAs but I am lucky enough to have been given a DE2-115 

I know its a big learning curve but being retired I have plenty of time , but I cant even get started to try it out because 

unfortunately the box is missing the system disk so I went online to see what I can download for the board. 

I downloaded the user manual but was then stuck  

I can download the  

Control panel 

System Builder 

System CD 

but which one , on line I can find lots of versions especially of the system CD 

Eventualy on the Altera products, DE2-115 product page I clicked the resources tab and that gave me a narrower field to choose from 

just one Control Panel 

One Systembuilder 

but still to System CDs 

one is  

DE2-115 CD-ROM (Cypress USB) of which there are then 4 versions  

the other 

DE2-115 CD-ROM (NXP USB) 

Which one do I need ? or do I need both ? 

Regards 

Don
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is the official Terasic resource web page: 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=165&no=502&partno=4 

You need the appropriate CD-ROM according to which USB device your board has. The manual should help you find this.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think you have to download from the Altera website: 

1) Quartus (web editon) free 

2) Modelsim Altera Starter edition (free) 

3) In the installation directory of Quartus youll' find the 'USB blaster' drivers.  

This is all you need to design a circuit and download it on the FPGA board. 

P.S. You also need the knoledge of a language such as VHDL or Verilog. This is not a must since you can also design using the schematic design (similar to Spice) but it becomes immediately very cumbersome as the design complexity increases.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Thank you for your reply , however its a bit of a vicious circle  

you said to choose the CD rom according to which usb device my board has , and to determine this device from the user manual  

Unfortunately the manual is on the CD rom . so depending on which CD I decide to download I guess will give me a different answer as to which USB I have  

I have now written to Terasic support quoting the serial number of my board hoping they can give me an answer from that 

but thanks for the help 

Don 

--- Quote Start ---  

This is the official Terasic resource web page: 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=165&no=502&partno=4 

You need the appropriate CD-ROM according to which USB device your board has. The manual should help you find this. 

--- Quote End ---  

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks nplttr 

I will start downloading and installing them now  

Don
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I wrote to Terasic in the end  

They tell me that my board ( from the serial number ) uses the NXP USB but that this will not work with windows 7 only XP 

They also said that the Cypress USB only works on windows 7 in 32 bit not 64 bit  

Don
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

They tell me that my board ( from the serial number ) uses the NXP USB but that this will not work with windows 7 only XP 

They also said that the Cypress USB only works on windows 7 in 32 bit not 64 bit  

--- Quote End ---  

I think you can ignore the advice about functionality under Windows for the moment. The board has a USB device attached to the FPGA that you can use for communication with your design. I've never bothered to use it. 

The board also has an on-board USB-Blaster, and that does work under Windows just fine. 

If Terasic has changed the USB controller, then they've likely changed the pin assignments on the board, but probably only in a few places. You'll want to make sure you download the schematic for the board revision you own, and determine the pin assignments from that. Do *not* simply use an example design you find on the web! (Including any from Terasic, without first reviewing it!) 

Cheers. 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Dave  

Yes I found that the USB Blaster works fine and I doubt I will need any other usb connectivity for some time , as I  

have only been playing with FPGA's for about 8 hours ( got my DE2-115 yesterday)