FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5157 Discussions

DE2-70 and Terasic LCD touch screen and NIOS 2 project

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I am kind of new to FPGA. 

I tried reverse engineering projects from DE2 and migrate them to DE2-70 to learn how SOPC is used to create the NIOS system. So far, I only managed to make the Example 2 Pixel Buffer to work on the DE2-70. Example 1 Character Buffer compiles and loads to the board but nothing is displayed on the VGA monitor.  

Seen that I was able to display pixels to the VGA monitor, I proceeded to tried to display the image in the LCD touch screen. I have been trying to make the LCD touch screen work with NIOS2 on the DE2-70 board for the past month and the experience has been frustrating. The examples provided by the CD is all in verilog without NIOS 2 system. I do not know what components to add to the SOPC when building the NIOS system.  

All I want to get started is to be able to interact with the LCD touch screen. Anyone managed to make the LCD touch screen work with NIOS 2? I know the board is pretty old but when I bought it, Cyclone III was just released. I should have waited a bit before buying the board. 

Peter
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not sure if you've see these, but I highly recommend starting with the DE2-70 demonstrations from Terasic : http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=53&no=226&partno=4 

I've gotten the LCD screen to work very well on the DE2 and DE2-115, in one of the demos there's probably one which has LCD.h and LCD.c which cover the basics for your use of it.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I got the LCD to work. I am trying to make the Terasic LCD Touch Panel to work. This is the model http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=68&no=213

I also managed to make Example 2 Pixel Buffer of DE2 board to work. Example 1 Character buffer is not working for me.