FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

DE2 CODEC help

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello  

i have been asigned to do an audio related project as part of my graduation project... the board i am using is DE2 & the HDL is VHDL. 

i have been able to do a simple audio loop back that just connects the mic to the speakers in real time with out any processing...i want to know what is the difference between the left and right channels ?  

can i use only one channel data for acquiring the audio signal ? whta difference will ithis make. 

if i want for example to record the an audio clip what steps should i take ? what do u recomend SOPC (using NIOS ii ) approach or complete hadware approach ? 

thank to anyone who helps.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if you are using the mic input to speakers you're routing a mono signal to stereo (left and right) output channels. the mono signal will be identical on the left and right speakers. 

if you use the line level input you'll have a true stereo input where the left and right channel data can be different (like most recordings). you can acquire data from just 1 channel (left or right it doesn't matter as long as your signal is present on that line), you just won't have a true stereo output. for a school project it shouldn't be too critical. 

as far as NIOS versus RTL it depends on your own strengths and style and what you're trying to accomplish.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for replying that cleared a lot of things :)  

but do u have any idea how can i store an audio data in to the sram.... i am currently reading about sram conntrollers and fifos 

do i need fifos between sram and audio data ?
0 Kudos