FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

DE2 Echo Feature

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am working with a DE2 trying to add an echo feature which would take the sound input, add an echo, and send the result to the output. I am having trouble with this, and was wondering if anyone could help me out with suggestions for how to do this.  

I am new to the DE2, so please try to keep any ideas in basic terms. 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

You can configure the audio codec chip's register such that line input directly routed to line output.  

Regards, 

Hardik Sheth
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Thank you for your reply. I actually am having trouble with adding the echo prior to output. Do you have any ideas on that? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, you need to create some sort of RAM memory, i just ordered DE2 board so I can't help with it yet. but on my spartan 3an i did it that way : created single block memory of about 16k addreses(remember, read first write later) , 14 bit width (ADC on spartan board is just 14 bit, DAC - 12 bit), and then in each clk cycle i did this : 

dina <= input(13 downto 0) + ( '0' & douta(13 downto 1) ); addra <= addra + 1; output <= dina(13 downto 2); -- addra is addres of RAM row -- dina is input port of RAM (14 bits) -- douta is output from RAM -- input is signal from ADC (14 bit) -- output is data do DAC (12 bit) -- input is mixed with RAM data divided by two (to silence echo part) -- and sended to DAC  

Echo works amazingly good, even on ADC\DAC not created for audio processing :)  

Any question more, just ask :) When Terasic will send me my DE2 i'll post here more often :) :)
0 Kudos