FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

DE2 audio examples using DSP Builder

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The attached is DE2(2C35) development board version of the example attached with http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2058.  

Simple DSP Builder based designs controlling WM8731 audio codec: 

sound_basic_dspb\sound_basic.mdl : just take in analog Line-In input and send it on Line Out output. 

sound_echo_dspb\sound_echo.mdl : add delayed echo to Line-In input and send it on Line Out output. 

Since DE2 board allow only 2-wire(I2C) access for the codec chip register control, this design adopted 2-wire access instead of 3-wire(SPI) in previous DSP kit version.  

To play with them: 

1. open aic_audio HDL import block and push compile (if the HDL import block shrinks up after the compilation, please extend down the block size). 

2. Compile and Program from Signal compiler.  

Note:  

*_add_user.tcl script assigns the pins, including Clock and aclr. 

My tool versions are: Quartus II/DSP Builder v8.1, MATLAB 2007b (may be compatible with other versions)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I just stumpled across this Echo generator, and would like to learn how to use it. 

If you could please post a "how to use this-for-dummies" guide, I would be very appreciative... 

Thanks. 

-Brian
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, what kind of info do you need? Try to list your questions. 

EOFZ
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to put in a FIR filter between the adc out and dac in on the DE2 board and failing miserably. I am using the DE2 board with cyclone II EP2C35F672C6N fpga. I split the two channel data out of the adc out and filter each channel seperately. The filters are identical though. The passthrough from the filter modules ( i.e. when I pass the filter inputs straight to the output without filtering) the dac output is perfect but fails with the filtering process engaged.  

Please help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am trying to use this program but have no idea how to go about this (sorry I'm a beginner to the DE2). 

Could you post steps on how to use it for a beginner - meaning can you describe each step on loading the program into Quartus and programming to the board. I don't know what you mean by 'HDL import block' and 'push compile' etc. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

I am trying to use this program but have no idea how to go about this (sorry I'm a beginner to the DE2). 

Could you post steps on how to use it for a beginner - meaning can you describe each step on loading the program into Quartus and programming to the board. I don't know what you mean by 'HDL import block' and 'push compile' etc. 

Thanks. 

--- Quote End ---  

I need this steps too!Thanks...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

EOFZ, can u please upload the generated VHDL code for sound_echo.mdl? i dun have license for DSP builder to do so.  

thanks in advance.  

Good day. 

Fantagiro_88
0 Kudos