FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

DE2 for data storage (SD card)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using GPIO expansion slot in DE2 board to take a 9bit address from a circuit with 20 million data per second (20MSPS). I need to store them in the SD card. :rolleyes: 

Does any one know the procedure for this or source code. 

Many thanks in advance
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello  

I think 20MSPS is to fast for SD and no matters what SD communication protocol you wont to use (SD, SPI) 

Best regards, 

Marcin.:)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Definately too fast for SD card. 

The DE2 board's FPGA is only wired to DAT0 on the SD card connector. DAT1-DAT3 are unconnected, and thus, only one-bit transfer mode (or SPI) are possible. 

A class 6 SD Card is spec'd to transfer at 6 MB/s, but that is only for reading. Writing is much slower. There are a few faster class cards, but not much faster. 

I don't think anyone makes a SD Card that can write data that fast (yet). For the 2.0 spec, the SD_Clk max speed is a maximum of 50 Mhz. 

3.0 Spec allows the max clock speed to be 100 Mhz (or maybe slightly more), so future SD Cards may be capable, if the write operations don't delay too long to finish. 

The Bottom line is: 

1) SD Cards are not this fast yet. 

and 

2) The DE2 board is not suited for fast SD Card transfers because it does not connect DAT1-DAT3 pins of the SD Card to the FPGA.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks very much for all replies. 

I should think of another method - perhaps dumping it to PC using serial port:rolleyes:
0 Kudos