FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

DE2 supports VHDL ams

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all, 

I have a DE2 board with FPGA is a cyclone II EPC35 using Quartus II v7.2 web edition 

I wonna know if this board support vhdl ams 

in my project i need to generate a sine wave signal so i need to know if i can  

use the expansion header like outputs for this generated signal in VHDL ams and 

if Cyclon 2 can generate this type of signal? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I wonna know if this board support vhdl ams 

--- Quote End ---  

VHDL-AMS is a language modelling construct, it does not imply that hardware has to support it, just that you can use the language to model hardware. 

--- Quote Start ---  

in my project i need to generate a sine wave signal so i need to know if i can use the expansion header like outputs for this generated signal in VHDL ams and if Cyclon 2 can generate this type of signal? 

--- Quote End ---  

You have to use an digital-to-analog converter to generate your sinusoid. However, without knowing what frequency you need, its a bit hard to provide you your options. 

The DE2 has audio and VGA components that might meet your needs, or you can buy a board that plugs into the headers. Check the Terasic web site for boards. 

Cheers, 

Dave